Get on the Road Without Breaking the Bank – Tips on AARP Live at 10 p.m. ET. Watch Here 

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Do you think where you live affects your health?

Message 31 of 40 (3,104 Views)

Yes, of course. In many places it becomes part of the local community culture. It's definitely that way here. Where I live there are many options for people to stay active. We have many neighborhood parks and greenbelts for getting outdoors. A lot of these have connecting pathways for both pedestrians and bicycles to travel. And for people who like to work out in a gym, there are various outlets all over town, and many offer senior discounts, too.

The city has provided many new cycling paths for commuters who want to bike to work, or just cycling for sport. Many city buses can now accomodate bicycles, too.  Many of the larger businesses now have showers and changing rooms for their employees to exercise during the day. 

We also have access to healthy foods, fresh fish from the gulf, fresh vegetables and fruits, most locally grown or from nearby Mexico. Because there are so many options, we can buy healthy food at affordable prices. Some neighborhoods have started community gardening projects. Many local restaurants now offer healthier options on the menu, including vegan and vegetarian meals. Our city water quality is excellent, too.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 32 of 40 (2,913 Views)

I was born in New York and lived in New Jersey until I was twenty-three in 1969. I then moved to San Diego. I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 1998. Some researchers believe that the farther one lives from the equator for the first fifteen years of life, the more likely one is to 'get' MS. 

However, now that I have MS, I know that San Diego is the best place for me to live. The weather is almost perfect here for people with MS who suffer when the temperature is too hot, too humid or too cold. I accidentally found a place that is Goldilocks-good for me. I have a group of friends with MS who feel the same way.
Info Seeker

Message 33 of 40 (2,732 Views)

Absolutely! A combination of retirement and moving to a block from the ocean, has meant I sleep better and feel calmer than ever before. Listening to the waves and being able to walk around the safe neighborhood, greeting locals and their dogs, and participating in small town life has all contriubuted to my current healthy (both physically and mentally) blissful state!

Info Seeker

Message 34 of 40 (2,847 Views)

"Your attitude will determine your altitude".  Fortunately, both are super in Colorado!  We get to look at the snow-capped Rockies every day, and, yes, it positively affects our health.  We leave tomorrow for a Harley trip into the Great American West for 10 days in our '70's, so where you live DOES make a big difference!

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 35 of 40 (2,986 Views)

Yes I do believe our environment has much to do with our wellbeing as does it shape our perception and understanding of the world. There are some excellent posts below that break down the contributing factors more in detail.

I did read about the United Health foundation study and survey of people over 50 reporting the states that had the healthiest folks over 50 and those states with the unhealthiest over 50.

Did the states that ranked in the top tier do more to improve the quality of care for their residents over 50 then the lower ranked states? I believe so.

The political impact state governments can play or not play in the wellbeing of its residents is what determines the bottom line of the health of its residents.

http://www.aarp.org/home-family/friends-family/info-2017/minnesota-healthiest-states-older-adults-fd...

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 36 of 40 (2,857 Views)

@NerdyMom Smiley Happy No doubt about it, Colorado has an active culture. Indeed a bunch of us cyclists were talking about it last weekend on the trail, how so many (probably 75%) of the people one sees working out on the rec trail (biking, running, rollerblading, et cetera) are gray haired. We are suspicious, actually, that our generation is more fit than the younger ones, for we see younger athletes so infrequently. The younger people we do see are usually strolling, rather than working out. Then again, perhaps the younger athletes are doing what we all did when we were younger: snowboarding, mountain climbing, skiing. Smiley Happy

Agreed: it is difficult not to be outside here. Not a bad view in the state. <-bias alert Smiley Happy

PS Garden of the Gods: gorgeous! Colorado Springs is a lovely city. Great people.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Super Social Butterfly

Message 37 of 40 (2,849 Views)

lol, funny you mention Colorado.  We went to Colorado Springs for vacation last year, and it was so gorgeous!  I can see how it would be easy to be outside and active a lot of the time.  Same with Northern California.

I live in DC.  Well, right outside it.  Depending on the county, there are tons of trails and bike paths, and great places to hike.  It feels much easier to stay healthy here than in Baltimore City.  I lived there for about 10 years.   Not much to do without driving some distance.   Neither compares to Colorado to me.

Message 38 of 40 (1,713 Views)

Colorado has been very good to me. Smiley Happy (That's a yes.)

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

Message 39 of 40 (1,541 Views)

Absolutely! There's the obvious .. air & water quality, then weather .. how much of the year are you able to be physically active & outdoors, and does bad weather increase your risk of falls or car accidents. Where you live affects the availability of fresh & organic foods. Things like population density & traffic affect our stress levels, and crime rate also affects stress, not to mention actual crime against us. Community/regional atmosphere affect stress, as well as the cost of living.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Community Manager

Do you think where you live affects your health?

Message 40 of 40 (1,493 Views)

Do you think living in a particular state or area increases your healthy living?

AARPTeri