Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Info Seeker

Re: Do you think where you live affects your health?

Message 21 of 41

Absolutely!!!!  As you age, your skin is thinner, you catch colds faster as well as the flu and its complications.  If I lived in say **bleep** I wouldn't have half the colds I do.  If as the Doctors say cold weather is better for you - why is it I get colds., flues etc in the winter.  Sure we're inside and able to catch it faster from each other but what about those of us who go to the mailbox and back.  Sorry Doctors you're "practicing" and that's it.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 22 of 41

There is no Local "Y" here in Oakland, Maryland.  I am hoping I can find a good friend to walk with me.  

Info Seeker

Message 23 of 41

YES, of course. I lived in South FL and enjoyed walks and Vita Course exercise stations on waterfront city parks. Well lighted, lots of people of various ages about, we felt safe, and enjoyed nice evening weather. So we kept fit and agile and in good shape and healthy. Moved to south-central TX and combination of hot stormy weather and not near shores or nice walkable parks turned us into "Mall Walkers", got exercise but it was much less desirable. Moved close to family in south eastern Ohio and we have to go to an indoor gym now. Its hilly here and weather is difficult, and there is absolutely nothing nearby in improved walkable parks! Our fitness and health declined this year! Not happy.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 24 of 41

cw87027326 wrote:

Yes, I do believe where I live affects my health overall.  I feel very isolated and my husband will not go for walks with me in the evening.  We both should be walking more but there is an inherent danger where we live, due to strangers and basically, nowhere to walk that is fully lighted.  We have a very small circle of friends and they do not walk either.  

Hi

Do you have a local Y where there might be a walking group?  or can you walk in the earlier evening or morning?  How about a church group?  You are right that walking is good for everyone and even regular shorter walks would help.  I hope that you find someone to walk with!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 25 of 41

lsm15225 wrote:

Absolutely! A combination of retirement and moving to a block from the ocean, has meant I sleep better and feel calmer than ever before. Listening to the waves and being able to walk around the safe neighborhood, greeting locals and their dogs, and participating in small town life has all contriubuted to my current healthy (both physically and mentally) blissful state!

Your comments makes sense to me because I love living near the water.  It is such a calming factor in a today's busy lifestyles.  After a long day of dealing with telephones and email and commuting you can sit back and listen to the waves and just enjoy the view.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Info Seeker

Message 26 of 41

Yes, I do believe where I live affects my health overall.  I feel very isolated and my husband will not go for walks with me in the evening.  We both should be walking more but there is an inherent danger where we live, due to strangers and basically, nowhere to walk that is fully lighted.  We have a very small circle of friends and they do not walk either.  

Social Butterfly

Message 27 of 41

Yes, where I live affects my health both positively and negatively.  We live in a small rural mountain community that has clean air, virtually no pollution (if you don't count cleaning the chicken coop), etc.  On the negative side, we have extreme heat which makes me dehydrated constantly.  Also, there's not much to do socially and since houses are far apart (I have no neighbors within over a mile on three sides of me and the third neighbor is never home and I've never met them) we don't really have "neighborhoods".  I feel isolated and lonesome.  I email friends and relatives daily but that's not the same.  When I lived in the city I had places close by to go and lots of people to talk with.  Now life is a void and my husband refuses to move. 

Info Seeker

Message 28 of 41

Yes I know it affects my health

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 29 of 41

Not to mention the availability and quality of health care.

Other factors include the prevalence of heavy drinking and smoking in some areas.

Quality of air.

Quality of jobs; how many offer healthcare assistance.

Conversationalist

Message 30 of 41

I, for one, would be surprised if there were not a link between location and health.  The environemnt in which you exist has an impact on your body and attitude, and all the influences of climate, cost of living, air and water quality, congestion, etc., will affect your health and well being.  Differenet people react to different areas, but everyone is affected by their location.  I don't particularly care for hot weather, so Florida and southern Arizona are not for me.  I like seasons, including winter.  That said, my area is not known for abundant sunlight (about 35% on average). Friends often head south for warmer climes while I stay up North, but I get lots of exercise al leyar, whether x-c skiing or snowshoeing, or biking and hiking.