Are you as smart as a high-tech car? Take this quiz and test your knowledge.
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you think where you live affects your health?

Message 1 of 50

Rio Grande Valley

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 50

Are u in El Paso?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 50

Move to CO. Much healthier and unemployment is under 3%. But renting and owning a home is very expensive. We sold our house in 2014 for $400,000 Which is worth now over $540,000

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 50

Yes. I live in Texas 10 miles from the US/Mexican border. Pay is lower than most places in the US. Being a bilingual area, one can be at a disadvantage trying to find a job with English as your only language. The area is starting to grow but it will take a long time to catch up. The highest level trauma hospital is Level 2, about 45 miles from my city.

Recently, the local UT university and one of the hospitals here began a medical school. Hopefully, the healthcare system will get better. Or maybe I should move to Colorado Srings. Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 50

Yes. I live in Texas 10 miles from the US/Mexican border. Pay is lower than most places in the US. Being a bilingual area, one can be at a disadvantage trying to find a job with English as your only language. The area is starting to grow but it will take a long time to catch us.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 50

We moved to FL after 30 yrs in CO. We should have never left. Lots of environmental problems in FL. Allergies every day. Never in CO. You don’t know what u have until it’s gone. Now Colorado is too expensive for us to come back to in retirement. Miss the summers and snow on Christmas 🎄 

And as of June 2018 the entire Gulf coast has „Red Tide“ which is a bacteria in the ocean 🌊 and has killed  thousands of fish, several hundred manatees and dolphins and sea turtles. It is not safe for anyone to go into the ocean. Erin Brockovich will be in Florida next week. Many are ill from the red tide & toxic green algae which flows into Fort Myers on the Gulf side & St Lucia in the Atlantic side. Side effects are headache, coughing, burning eyes, sinus infections. Anyone with health issues should not be near the beaches. Our beaches are like ghost beaches. No one there. Businesses are hurting since tourism is down. One restaurant owner committed suicide and another got pneumonia from the red tide and died. I was very healthy when we first moved here from Denver. Now I have the symptoms described above and my husband has Neuropathy with no feeling in his feet and has balance issues. I believe it’s all related to the bad water and air down here in FL. We have not seen the beach in 3 mths   So sad 😞 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 50

We lived in CO for 30 yrs. We

were in great health until we moved to Florida 3 yrs ago. We are in our early 60’s & 70’s. We were always on the go in Colorado. In Florida we are indoors a lot due to allergies we have now, and never before. Lots of environmental problems in FL. It’s pretty here but too humid, ocean has red tide and so on. We miss Colorado. We should have never sold our house in Highlands Ranch, CO. I miss the Colorado summers. Enjoy and stay in CO :-) 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 50
No. I just thought AARP had a way to connect with others.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 50

No. It is fine here. I need to meet or at least communicate with people.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 50

Yes! The air quality is rarely good in downtown Chicago and it’s affecting our lungs. It’s hard to get motivated to walk very far when the wind chills are low, as well.  When in FL, the only time air quality effects our lungs is during times of red tide.  We walk a lot more (except when it’s extremely hot) and enjoy nature more.  Interpersonal interactions tend to be more pleasant, also.  

Kudos
Views