Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you have a walking buddy?

Sometimes our best motivators are friends or even our dogs!  Do you have a buddy that helps you get out and move?  I have a friend who texts me at least twice a week to walk for 5 miles - it is great and we love using the time to catch up with each other!  How about you?

AARPTeri
Contributor

Yes I have a buddy.   We motivate each to get out and walk and then I set the pace

@AARPTeri wrote:

Sometimes our best motivators are friends or even our dogs!  Do you have a buddy that helps you get out and move?  I have a friend who texts me at least twice a week to walk for 5 miles - it is great and we love using the time to catch up with each other!  How about you?

0 Kudos
Contributor

I walk with a friend on the weekends. During the week I listen to audiobooks on my walk. I walk 5.5 miles per day.

Contributor

No i dont is there any one in the Beauregard area 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

The name of my walking buddy is Fido!

Kudos
Views
Trusted Contributor

A walking buddy,what a great idea ! Any ladies over 60 at oceanfront in Virginia Beach looking for a pal to walk and have lunch after at Mary's Restaurant on 17th Street just let ole Professor Whoopie know. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

No, I don't have a walking buddy.  I used to walk with my husband but we are divorced not.  My son's will join me on occasion, but not regularly which is what I really need.  Is there any one in the Bristol, TN/VA area that might like to have a walking buddy?  I would love to ..... let me know ...Lee

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

not should be now.....oops
0 Kudos
Contributor

My walking buddy is Dr. John, a retired pediatrician. Most Saturday mornings we walk 3.5 miles to get coffee. Round trip 7 miles. We have great conversations and laugh at each others sharp wit. 

Contributor

No, I do not. I really would like a walking buddy.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Are you near Bristol TN/VA?  I am looking for a walking buddy in that area...

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yes.  My BFF from high school.  We walk together many times a month.  She lives a few blocks from the local mall and when get together for dinner, I drive to her house and we walk to the mall/local restaurant for a meal.  Also, we have joined our community walking club. We meet twice a week and walk for an hour, generally we do a 5k in the hour.  If too hot or raining we meet at the mall and walk for an hour in the mall.  A number of years ago, I got a fitbit to track my steps and sleep. This makes me more aware of how many steps I get per day.  I now park at the far end of parking lots to get more steps and sometimes if time permits I even do a walk around the perimiter of the lot to get more steps.  

Contributor

My walking buddies are my two dobermans. I download on them and we all get all the exercises we need. At the end of the day it's good to have someone you don't have to debate with and you have the advantage of walking any time you want, morning, afternoon or night and their always ready and willing to go. lol  Plus it keeps them in shape.

Any indoor places to walk in Las Vegas.?

0 Kudos

No, I don't have a walking buddy, but I want one.

Sheryl (Sherry) C. Davis

Periodic Contributor

Are you near Bristol TN/VA? I am also interested in a walking buddy.
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Nope, I do not have a walking buddy. Live in Wisconsin.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

My husband is my walking buddy.  we both got Fitbit's so we could track our steps and earn rewards at the same time.  When it is supper hot or cold outside, we walk in the mall with the mall walkers, which has brought new friends into our lives.  we enjoy walking outside at parks and other walking trails when possible, but it is nice to mix it up also.  We often try to beat our previous days steps which is a steady 10,000 daily.  we feel better and have lost many pounds just from walking and find that our attitude and thought process is much better as a result of our walking consistantly. 

Periodic Contributor

No

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes, but we are not consistent on our walking. Due to several circumstances, we have not done it consistently. 😞 

0 Kudos

Yes! I posted a question on our local "Next Door" page - "Is anyone near "my road" interested in walking in the AM?"  I received 4 replies but once you start talking about schedules, one person committed. We now walk 2 to 3 mornings a week. Prior to that, my motivation was low to get out and walk alone so i'm very happy i found my walking buddy! We talk and see other neighbors. Time flies and distance adds up quickly when you aren't paying attention. We also vary our route to check out other neighborhoods to keep it interesting. 

Periodic Contributor

Nope.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Are you near Bristol TN/VA? I am also interested in a walking buddy.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Gentle Lady,

You need to get out of them there hills and move to the oceanfront ! Just hop in your car and head east on US 58 and don't stop till you drive into Dairy Queen's lot and you're at oceanfront,easy peasy.

Professor Phineas J. Whoopie

0 Kudos
Contributor

No.  I tried this, but we talked too much to get much fast walking done.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

No. Anyone in Tupelo, MS or Pontotoc, MS interested?

0 Kudos
Contributor

My two sisters live in the same community with me and we walk every morning together. We also work out in our gym together so it's more fun!

Contributor

Yes, my walking buddy is my husband of 42 years. We still have lots to talk about every day and I am so thankful we have this time together! He has a rare form of muscular dystrophy and we feel blessed that he is able to walk and enjoy the beautiful outdoors with me each morning.

Contributor

Yes! We walk every day five and half miles.

0 Kudos
Contributor

No I don't but I go to the gym & walk 2 miles on the treadmill every day.

Contributor

No I don’t have a walk buddy I need one desperately to help keep me motivated can you help?

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP