Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you have a walking buddy?

Sometimes our best motivators are friends or even our dogs!  Do you have a buddy that helps you get out and move?  I have a friend who texts me at least twice a week to walk for 5 miles - it is great and we love using the time to catch up with each other!  How about you?

AARPTeri
Contributor

Where are you located?

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@1proudgranma  Have you asked any friends to walk with you?  Do you have social places, church, clubs or other things you are a part of where you can ask others to help you find someone?  Sometimes it is simply asking someone else to join you - maybe once a week to start and can lead up to more?  If not, we can virtually help you!  Post if you walked today and tell us where you went and what you saw.  It is raining here in DC all day but I still walked my dog early this a.m. before heading to work.  I have also walked inside around the office a few times today to keep moving.

AARPTeri

No! I'd walk more regularly if I could find a walking buddy near me--the Northgate area of Cincinnati, near Pippin/Berthbrook/Greenriver. Anyone interested?
0 Kudos
Contributor

My walking buddy is my granddaughter.

We go to different parks and after she plays, we walk around the park. 

Contributor

No i don;t but go to the gym joining others on treadmills

0 Kudos
Contributor

That’s where I go. Meet friends at gym . Great solution.
0 Kudos

I have my husband but he offers no motivation to walk. I am completely reliant on a walker, I can't walk without it any more. I have so many issues with my back and I seriously need exercise but I know it's going to hurt. I know I need to do it any way but the thought of more pain keeps me from it.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Sometimes we have just do things on our on. Wish you lived close by. I have had to push my self a little at a time. First it was just getting the mailbox for me. Then it was to the house next door.

You can and will make a choice that will be of great value for you.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have a buddy we get to together about once a week and walk other than that I walk 30 minutes by myself

No, but I would like to!

Trusted Contributor

If you have a neighbor of similar spirit, invite!

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

Yes I have a buddy. I put my 1 year old grandson, Samuel , in his stroller and we walk in the morning. Soon my 3 year old granddaughter, Taylor, will join us. We sing and talk all the time we are walking❤️

Contributor

I'm determined to meet the 30-min. walk-a-day challenge even though I don't have a walking buddy.  An after-work walk would be ideal; tomorrow I will see if I can encourage a colleague to join me.  Wish me luck!

~ Today is All I Have
Contributor

I walk at least 1 hour a day - I walk solo - people I know do not want to walk that long
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

BIG NEWS!!!  Today we launched the AARP Fit & Fun Health Challenge.

Walk 30 minutes a day, anywhere!  This challenge is from May 3 through June 30th.

Enter the sweeps for a chance to win weekly prizes and a grand prize of a spa getaway for 2!

Enter here:  https://sweeps.aarp.org/enterhealth2018

AARPTeri
Honored Social Butterfly

Yep. I walk with hubby.

I'll exercise when I'm by myself, but him, not so much.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP