Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you have a walking buddy?

Sometimes our best motivators are friends or even our dogs!  Do you have a buddy that helps you get out and move?  I have a friend who texts me at least twice a week to walk for 5 miles - it is great and we love using the time to catch up with each other!  How about you?

AARPTeri
Honored Social Butterfly

No and I definitely prefer to walk alone.  I find it aggravating to match my pace to someone else's. 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

No I don't have a walking buddy I wish I did because I am not motivated at all😟

walking Buddy where are you?

hope to hear from you soon. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes, my three Silky Terriers. Their joy often gets me moving. Best exercise equipment ever! 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

No, I don't have a walking buddy.  But then again, it would be kinda crowded on my treadmill with me and somebody else.  It's barely enough room for me and my shadow.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

My wife (of 46 years) and I enjoy a daily 3 mile walk. Our regular walking plus healthy eating has resulted in our being free of all aches and pains in our early 70's and taking no meds. 

Contributor

My walking buddy is my westie, Polly.  She expects exercise and that gets me out walking for 30-45 minutes daily, in the summer very early in the morning.We've gotten to know each other very well during these walks.

Contributor

Yes, but by phone.  I live in a different city than my best friend (of 60+ years).  Once a week we try to "walk and talk", using our cell phones.  We generally walk for about 3 hours, catching up on each other's week.

Social Butterfly

My walk-in buddy is my cane.  It helps me along and also comes in handy to beat off stray dogs and muggers!

Contributor

I would like a walking buddy.  I live in a Mobile Home Park in Auburn, CA

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

1. No I do not have a walking buddy. All my friends work. I live by the boardwalk/beach in Coney Island. I do all my walking on the boardwalk.
  2. Good exercise!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

My walking buddy is my dog. I have been walking for four weeks now. I just started walking around a creek by my house. 

Periodic Contributor

My dog!

0 Kudos
Contributor

No!😩

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

Where do you live? I am in AZ.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I am in Buffalo, NY

0 Kudos
Contributor

No I would love to have a walking buddy.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

no I do not have a walking buddy, so I am walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes

No, I do not have a walking buddy most of the time.  Some days my daughter's girlfriend will walk with me.  However, we walk on the treadmills at Planet Fitness. She is 34 yrs old and has health issues due to type 1 diabetes. We can walk an hour on the treadmill. 

When I go on a walkabout it is by myself. I do enjoy it most of the time.  But having someone along to keep each other motivated is nice.  I have my music on my phone and one earbud. Walk to a good beat to keep moving.

Contributor

i play tennis how can i add my running as walking

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

no

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

no

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yes. My daughter loves working with me. She makes me walk 5 times a week. 

Contributor

No I enjoy walking alone. It gives me an opportunity  to think and reflect.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have a friend that I started walking with again on one of the weekend days. We're planning on doing some 5Ks.

Periodic Contributor

No, I don’t have a walking buddy. No one I know walks as fast as I do.

0 Kudos

Nope I Live Alone & rarely walk unless its a must I have endured being 100% Disabled for 20 years, I learned long ago to not react to pain since the reaction makes it worse, I honestly wish walking wasnt so painful yet all activities have been beyond endurable for so long I have learned to accept the pain & simply allow it to pass through me, I have been known to say I am pain I'm nolonger in pain I simply am Pain, but life is painful & I will admit waking every day hyperventalating from the pain isn't fun but at least I get 3 to 5 hours sleep a night, I will also say when asleep I can't mentally block reacting to pain ergo the Hyperventalating wakes me, oh well as my Dad often said Life Sucks then you Die, yet I don't know how to die & honestly that is one state of being I dont care to embrace ever LOL
Nice to actually say all that & think some other will read it & possibly it may help them to learn to simply accept the hand you were dealt as I have 🙂 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

This post was supposed to be a reply to DannyH160362. I made a mistake.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yes, walking can be painful. Yet I take aspirn after a long walk or before. And also drink water after a walk. You just have to find what is comfortable for you. Someone always listen they just might not reply.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Contributor

yes, I walk with my 8 yr. old autistic grandson while he crusies along beside me while I walk 5 miles aday. As soon as I park my car he grabs his helmet, gives me a kiss, say I love you Nana, ride bike please. I love it he doesn't talk to everyone but he ALWAYS talks to me.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP