Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you get a flu shot?

Message 31 of 40

Absolutely!  Even if it's only 50% or so effective, that's better than nothing!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 40

No.  Last year I contracted Gillian Barre Syndrome.  Very scary.  One possible way to get it is via the flu shot.  Prior to that I got it every year without fail.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 40

Yes for many years. Two years  ago my 88 year old mother got the flu and pneumonia at the same time, was in the hospital for 2 1/2 weeks. Doctor said if she hadn't had either of those shots she would have died.  If I wasn't convinced before that I would be now. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 40

Don't get them. Doctor doesn't think it's necessary as the flu 'morphs' every year and you often have a less than even chance that the vaccine is good against the strain going around.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 40

I don't get a flu shot because along time ago, I was in line with a whole lot of people to get a free flu shot in Hawaii.  Everybody was talking and laughing.

There was a lady in front of me, she took the shot in her arm and fell like a tree. They tried reviving her but she didn't move. They called the ambulance and they realized she died.

I was shocked to the core!  I never heard of anybody dying from a flu shot. What was in it? I left but when I turned around people still stood in line to get the shot.  I thought even a death doesn't wake them up.

I don't take the flu shot, pneumonia or shingles shot.

A shot is not going to prevent the flu,pneumonia or shingles.

It's going to be you, what do you eat?  Eat lots of vegetables!  Especially, the green ones.  Build your blood.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 40

Yes! I was diagnosed with diabetes over 25 years ago, so I try to protect myself. Also the pneumonia vaccine. About 7 years ago I got the shingles vaccine and about 3 years after that I got the shingles—but not as bad! Last year I got the shingrix shingles vaccine.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 40

Yes, last year we both got the flu and were sick for almost 3 weeks. We both got ours last week plus the shingles

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 40

Nope

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 40

My wife and I got ours last week at a pharmacy.

I've gotten one each year for years based on my doctors advising it (hey, I'm easy). My wife resisted for years until she realized that she was getting a bad flu every year whilst I went scot-free.

Let me edit this to add that I have horrible sinuses, lots of polyps (I attribute these to growing up in a smoking household) and allergies. So I really try to steer clear of colds and flu. I regularly use a neti pot with solution to clean out my sinuses in the winter and during allergy seasons. Try it!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Retired Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Do you get a flu shot?

Message 40 of 40

Do you get a flu shot every year? Why or why not?

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.