Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you get a flu shot?

Message 11 of 40

Nope.  Ever since I started maintaining the optimal levels of Vitamin D3 about ten years ago, I virtually never get a cold (twice in ten years), and have yet to get the flu.  And D3 doesn't have the side effects of flu shots.  However, it's important to have your D3 levels tested occasionally to make sure you're not getting too much or too little.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Retired Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 40

Here are some reasons why some people do and don't get flu shots: https://www.aarp.org/research/topics/health/info-2019/midlife-older-adults-views-vaccinations.html

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 40

Ouch - My feeling are hurt that you think I don't know what I am talking about.  But I do.  First off, small town Indiana, we both had the same family doctor and he told he exactly what happened to my friend Mike.  Also - Mike's wife told me the death certificate listed something like ".....complications from influeanza" as the cause of death.  (The CDC says that in 2017-18, 80,000 Americans died frome the flu.)

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 40

Why would you immediately assume the person died from the flu shot?  It probably had nothing to do with the person's death.  The flu can be very dangerous for an elderly person, and I think we should take every opportunity to protect ourselves and stay healthy.  That includes getting vaccinations as needed as part of our self-care regime.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 40

yes! be sure to get the high dose vaccine if you are over 65 yrs.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 40

I get my flu shot every year in Oct.. Last year I got the shot as usual but in January I got the flu.. I read up on things and I knew it was a strain of flu my shot didn't cover..  However it might have been worse if I hadn't got my shot..  I am 82 and this year they gave me a special flu shot, I also get the pneumonia shots, but not every year of course.. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 40

I just got my flu 💉 yesterday.  Ouch!  I've been getting one for many years now.  Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.  Two years ago, I didn't get sick at all.  Last year I had the flu twice!  Grrr.  🤬

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 40

Absolutely, it's the responsible thing to do!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 40

I do indeed, I have never missed and  got the second pneumonia shot as well.  This year I finally got the new shingle shot, shinex something.  I am gratefel to every reseacher and every volunteer that shows up every single working day.  thank you people.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 40

Absolutely!  I had the flu in 1963!  The year I was married and I thought I was going to die.  As soon as flu shots were available, I started getting mine.  I do not think I ever missed a year and would feel uncomfortable if I did.  I know they are never 100% effective but I will take the protection they afford.  I fear a pandemic.  With the world as mobile as it is now, it pays to be protected as much as possible.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.

Top Authors