Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

Do you get a flu shot?

Do you get a flu shot every year? Why or why not?

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I don't get a flu shot because along time ago, I was in line with a whole lot of people to get a free flu shot in Hawaii.  Everybody was talking and laughing.

There was a lady in front of me, she took the shot in her arm and fell like a tree. They tried reviving her but she didn't move. They called the ambulance and they realized she died.

I was shocked to the core!  I never heard of anybody dying from a flu shot. What was in it? I left but when I turned around people still stood in line to get the shot.  I thought even a death doesn't wake them up.

I don't take the flu shot, pneumonia or shingles shot.

A shot is not going to prevent the flu,pneumonia or shingles.

It's going to be you, what do you eat?  Eat lots of vegetables!  Especially, the green ones.  Build your blood.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Now, that's frightening-the lady who died fter the shot. Do you suppose she had another health problem ? I have never had a flu shot, don't intend to. Do get pneumonia shots when prescribed.

I grew up a sickly child-colds, earaches, tonsilitis, all winter long it was one thing or another. Now, in my 'old age'  Smiley Very Happy I seem to do better. Possibly my immune system built itself up ?

I like to think so.

Happy New Year, everyone  Heart

Sandee2
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yes and I plan to continue

0 Kudos

Why would you immediately assume the person died from the flu shot?  It probably had nothing to do with the person's death.  The flu can be very dangerous for an elderly person, and I think we should take every opportunity to protect ourselves and stay healthy.  That includes getting vaccinations as needed as part of our self-care regime.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Ouch - My feeling are hurt that you think I don't know what I am talking about.  But I do.  First off, small town Indiana, we both had the same family doctor and he told he exactly what happened to my friend Mike.  Also - Mike's wife told me the death certificate listed something like ".....complications from influeanza" as the cause of death.  (The CDC says that in 2017-18, 80,000 Americans died frome the flu.)

0 Kudos
Info Seeker

Yes! I was diagnosed with diabetes over 25 years ago, so I try to protect myself. Also the pneumonia vaccine. About 7 years ago I got the shingles vaccine and about 3 years after that I got the shinglesโ€”but not as bad! Last year I got the shingrix shingles vaccine.

Contributor

Nope

Contributor

Yes, last year we both got the flu and were sick for almost 3 weeks. We both got ours last week plus the shingles

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes, every year.. because I work in an office with 2 other women and in an old building.

Gold Conversationalist

My wife and I got ours last week at a pharmacy.

I've gotten one each year for years based on my doctors advising it (hey, I'm easy). My wife resisted for years until she realized that she was getting a bad flu every year whilst I went scot-free.

Let me edit this to add that I have horrible sinuses, lots of polyps (I attribute these to growing up in a smoking household) and allergies. So I really try to steer clear of colds and flu. I regularly use a neti pot with solution to clean out my sinuses in the winter and during allergy seasons. Try it!

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP