Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you get 10k steps a day?

Are you a walker? I am! I was obsessed with my apple watch and used it as a fitness tracker. Closing my rings felt so good! I've stopped wearing my apple watch now though. I know I don't get 10k steps a day given that I'm not commuting to work now.

Are you getting in 10,000+ steps a day? It turns out, you might not even need to be hitting that number per day. Another interesting finding - a study published this year in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) found that walking at a rate of 50 steps per minute, on par with a slow stroll, was just as effective as faster paces. The overall number of steps taken was more important than how quickly anyone took them.

Did you know you can get also get Rewarded for your steps with AARP Rewards? Find out more .

Periodic Contributor

Use my Fitbit Surge 3 much the same way as MsStretch. Started after Total Knee Replacement 3 months ago following a sedate period of about 1 year. I set the Fitbit goals as mobility increases, now routinely meet my goal of 5000 steps.For me steps/day & 250 steps/hour are invaluable. Much appreciate the AARP rewards and coordinate my Fitbit tracking in two ways:

-Steps per day

-Meditations - let Fitbit track my meditations but use the high quality AARP meditations. Reduce volume on the cell start meditations in both places. Fitbit records timeline, heart-rate and mood while some AARP meditations reward with points.

Also use the Surge 3 to track:

- Active minutes/day goal

- Flight of stairs/day - my device significantly undercounts

- Sleep tracking & analysis

- Weight & BMI

- Fluid & food intakes

Kudos
Views
Contributor

Every day except Saturday and Sunday. Started walking because it was the only activity I could do while wearing an oxygen tank on my back. I don't have COPD. I do have Polycythemia, which I acquired by going from a lot of physical activity to sitting behind a desk, looking at a computer. Going back to school later in life has it's downfalls. Hopefully, my body will react and the bones will slow down the red blood cell production and I can get back on the bicycle as that is my true love. 10K may not be the magic number, but I feel a lot better when I see my fitness tracker flash with the little trophy each day.

Periodic Contributor

I got a smartwatch for my birthday and have been tracking my steps. I try to get 10k steps a day, but if I get over 7,500 I'm also happy about it. I sit all day for my work, so having the watch has helped me keep moving throughout the day, which is great.

I wish AARP would include Google Fit in their trackers so I can get points for walking. Maybe they'll read this post and decide to add it.

Contributor

Does AARP have their own tracker? I use a Linteltek ID115Plus HR and it will interface with Google Fit or VeryFitPro (which is the one I use). A lot less expensive than FitBit and I have used mine over a year without a single failure. No fast battery discharge, no can't hold a charge, no random info. A great tracker.

Conversationalist

Yes, I do, I walk four miles a day doing things around my home. I was surprised to find out that I walk that much a day. I thought that I was becoming a major couch potato, LOL. I also do a focused walk twice a week that is five miles.

Shari
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

10,000 steps is approximately 5 miles and I walk 5-6 miles on three days per week, so the answer is "No."  I don't walk every day because I believe recovery is important.  I used to walk 10-12 miles, three times per week with the help of opioids for leg pain.

Regarding, "Rewarded for your steps with AARP Rewards" see:

https://community.aarp.org/t5/Politics-Current-Events/AARP-and-Walgreens-Will-Pay-You-0-01-Per-Mile-...

Recognized Social Butterfly

Yes I do and I โค๏ธ it and like to walk and exercise. We have feet to walk and feel good. In order to feel good and look great you have to walk .

Racquel Evans
Honored Social Butterfly

I have my Fitbit goal set at 7500 steps which, according to the article and other sources I've read, may be the "magic number".  Although that is not originally why I had it set there.  I used to have it set lower at fewer steps, than as I obtained that goal on a regular basis, I upped it.  I went into holding pattern at 7500, because I figured that was doable and on some days, it seemed 10,000 steps was just not possible and therefore, would prove daunting and I would get discouraged.  But if I hit 7500, I could say goal met and try to go even further without any 'added pressure'.  Surprisingly, I usually can hit 10K.

I agree with @ManicProgressive , I believe maintaining some level of activity does help with mobility issues, but also a whole lot of other health issues not to mention weight.  Especially during the past year we've had, I've been particularly cognizant of watching the FitBit and 'upping the ante'. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Interesting.  I actually get more steps now, by filling in commuting time with walking/hiking.  

Anecdotal only, but it seems those folks in my life who stay at least moderately active have fewer mobility issues as they age.  That's my end goal.  Not necessarily a much longer life.  But a mobile one.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP