Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Diet/Meal Services Plans

Message 1 of 3

When I had to modify my eating significantly last year, I decided the best way was to do it myself, because in my mind, it's one of those "for the rest of your life" things, not a "diet" for a couple of weeks or months. Maybe those food delivery services are good for a kick-start, but the person needs to pay close attention to what they're getting, so they know what/how to prepare food for themselves, after the delivery service ends.

I wouldn't want to not eat healthy, by convincing myself I could no longer afford the program, couldn't follow the program since I was away from home & didn't have access to the deliveries, or was eating out at restaurants. If you know what you're allowed/not allowed to eat & portion size, you can eat healthy no matter where you are; you're not dependent on "mystery meals" being delivered.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Re: Diet/Meal Services Plans

Message 2 of 3

There's a local diet food prep service near me that I LOVED.   The food was great and it exposed me to new foods that I have since adopted in my own cooking.  Like quinoa 20 years ago.  Smiley Happy  

https://diettogo.com/ 

But I think weight loss/healthy eating/diabetes diets are all very personal.  What works for some may not work for others.  I do best maintaining my weight by tracking calories on My Fitness Pal.  Even the free app gives a breakdown of fat/protein/fiber/sugar as well as some important vitamins and minerals. So I can see if I'm getting enough calcium or not enough fiber.   It doesn't matter what food source(s) I have, if I don't track calories, I will not eat properly.  I knew 20 years ago that this would be a life-long necessity if I wanted to have a healthy weight.  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Diet/Meal Services Plans

Message 3 of 3

A friend who'd been told their glucose was borderline diabetic, just signed up for one month of one of those delivered-to-your-house meal service plans, hoping to get their health & weight under control. I had previously suggested a couple of books about healthy eating.

Have any of you tried any of those services, to kick-start a healthy eating regimen? How long were you on it, and how successful was it long-term? Ever considered one, but didn't go ahead with it .. and why?

This is an article from the BuiltLean website, listing some of the better known services, describing the types of food, and comparing the pros & cons: "Diet Food Delivery Services"

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Replies