Check out the 10th anniversary edition of ’99 Great Ways to Save,’ AARP’s annual guide to saving money.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Diabetes Type 2 Treatment?

Message 11 of 18

I had a home physical checkup as part of my Medicare supplement plan a few years ago.  The PA noted my A1C (marginal at 6.0) and suggested that I use a cinnamon supplement, because he's seen some good results from some people that used the regimen.  I have been using 1000mg cinnamon pill 2x per day (morning, night) have had noticed a reduction in my A1C.  Obviously, won't work for every one, but it did some good for me.  Always good to check with your doctor before starting a new supplement regimen. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 18

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes 40 years ago (I was 27). I've been hospitalized a couple of times since that time for elevated blood glucose. Otherwise I have not been bothered by it. I was also a Doctor who treated patients with Diabetes. My suggestions: Diet-high in vegetable, high levels of protein (meat, beans, brown rice) limit "white foods" (white rice, potatoes, spaghetti/noodles, white bread, etc) and take 2 tb. of coconut oil a day. Keep the weight down as this very important for controlling Type 2, and it is okay to take Metformin. Metformin can increase life span, with both Diabetics and non-diabetics per Life Extension research-as well as controlling blood glucose it can also control the development of neuropathy. I hope this was helpful.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 18

Pies, sweetrolls and other sugar containing food do not have to be eliminated entirely.  They can be eaten in limited quantities.  The rule is portion control.

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 18

Yes, lots of good information out there.  I personally find ketogenic hard to follow.  I use coconut oil to provide ketones before exercise.   I make fat bombs and tell myself that I must exercise after eating one of those, no other option!  

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 18

There is mounting evidence that at Ketogenic diet can give great relief to Diabetes patients. Watch this short video of Dr. Peter Atilla about his response to an obese diabetic woman in the ER, and then give a good listen to Dr. Dom D'agostino being interviewed by Tim Ferriss. Tons of info and some good references for further info. My personal experience (family history of diabetes, cancer, heart disease) with the ketogenic diet the last 3 months, lost 20 lb. with no effort, more alert and feel healthier than in years (64 y.o.)...

Dr. Atilla's TED Talk "What if We're Wrong About Diabetes"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMhLBPPtlrY

Dom D'agostino "Fasting, Ketosis and the End of Cancer" interview by Tim Ferriss (Author of 4 Hour Body)

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/11/03/dominic-dagostino/

Ketogenic Diet Resource (Diabetes 2 book)

http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 18

I did quite a bit of research on diabetes when I noticed my fasting blood sugar was over 100 four years ago.  Cutting back on carbohydrates  with or without medication is probably the simplest and easiest plan.  You or your friend may want to read the book Bloodsugar 101 by Jenny Ruhl.  She also has a good website.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 18
Be sure he/she changes their diet. Do not eat pie or sweet rolls when you are around him.
Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Diabetes Type 2 Treatment?

Message 18 of 18

I'm a new comer to this site. I joined since i have a very good friend who is experiencing Diabetes Type 2. He is having a very difficult time dealing with it. Like a friend, i feel helpless and would like to help him. If you have any suggestions about what you think would be appreciated included in being supportive, please tell me??

Kudos
Views
Replies