Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Danger of 50 years of weight lifting! From experience.

Message 1 of 2

@mbuttress - Thanks for your post! I think the whole thing of pushing yourself "to the limit" (which is probably beyond the limit), and competing despite extreme pain, are both common in athletes .. and very dangerous in the long run!

I work out with a trainer, and if I'm in pain, she figures out whether it just means I'm working parts of the body that aren't used to it, or it's the kind of pain that warns you of a problem.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Danger of 50 years of weight lifting! From experience.

Message 2 of 2

I am 68 years old and I have always been a health fanatic. I became addicted you might say, to jogging and weight lifting at an early age. Unfortunately in the last couple of years I developed foot drop and ended up having an MRI. It turned out that I had severely pinched nerves between the 4th and 5th lumbar vertebrae which necessitated spinal fusion last year. I believe squating and pushing weights to the limit may have had a lot to do with it. Four months later, the severe backache has gone but the foot drop lingers on and could take a year to heal, I'm told.

I simply want to warn others of the dangers of continuous weight lifting, year after year as in my case. Be sensible about it, especially when squating. It can put an enormous strain on the back.9.jpgAn MRI shot of my 68-year old spine!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies