Take a look at how people age around the world with this AARP special report: A New Age.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Colder Season Workout Ideas for Seniors

Message 1 of 9

@ASTRAEA  Your face is already feeling the wind chill without a fairing, but I think (am told) the fairing redirects some of that wind away from your face and off to the side. Fairings serve to protect your body from wind chill. On a recumbent your knees are around heart level, and your feet are out in front of you, so the barrier is a welcome bit of climate control.

They are also used for aerodynamics. Our 81 yo friend who races uses one. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 9

@Epster - I'm confused about the placement of those fairings, which seem below face/head level. They actually look like they'd direct the airstream right into your face .. which might be nice in warm weather, but surely not if it's very cold!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9

@ASTRAEA  I doubt I'd take to the moose antlers either. It does seem like you could get caught up in there, the result being a crash. Smiley Sad

We have considered getting fairings for the trikes. That's what lots of winter trikers do. (http://www.zzipper.com/Products/prod_trike.php) But the past two winters were mild and the same is forecast, so we're risking it. But I bet as we age we will want fairings on our trikes (course, we do plan to snowbird, so maybe not, too).

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9

I've made good use of all my winter clothing, for shoveling snow; it's lightweight & flexible, so I too wear 2 layers of gloves & stay warm. It actually feels invigorating, if you can just avoid the worst of the cold, and protect the most sensitive areas .. head, hands & feet!

When I first decided to bike thru the winter, I got this thing that I think was called "moose antlers", that fit over the handlebars, and into which you put your arms to hold on. But the first time I tried it, I felt "trapped" having my arms in there .. and switched to a double layer of gloves instead!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9

@ASTRAEA wrote:

Although it's cold outside late fall thru early spring, as long as the ground is dry & not slick, there's no reason not to continue with outdoor exercise .. IF YOU WEAR THE RIGHT CLOTHING!

Years ago I bought 2 Gortex suits (pants & jacket), that trap a layer of air inside, and provide great insulation from the cold. I've gone out wearing them in single-digit temperatures, over thin layers of insulation like cashmere turtlenecks & thermal underwear .. and felt really warm, once I got moving! Ditto for bicycling in the cold; I have a pair of neoprene socks & special gloves that block out the wind. I also have a Balaclava hood, which is great for keeping your whole head warm.

Boy ain't that the truth!  @ASTRAEA , Sounds like you dress like a mountaineering Coloradan. Good for you!

I have all that stuff, but when we ride trikes in the winter we only really have to worry about hand and foot warmth due to wind chill. The rest of us keeps cozy due to the exercise. Same with snowshoeing and snow hiking. We do wear two sets of gloves and hats and face warmers when walking in the community, though mostly that's only necessary on the coldest days.

But we're both looking forward to getting in serious workouts on the mini-trampolines this winter. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9

Although it's cold outside late fall thru early spring, as long as the ground is dry & not slick, there's no reason not to continue with outdoor exercise .. IF YOU WEAR THE RIGHT CLOTHING!

Years ago I bought 2 Gortex suits (pants & jacket), that trap a layer of air inside, and provide great insulation from the cold. I've gone out wearing them in single-digit temperatures, over thin layers of insulation like cashmere turtlenecks & thermal underwear .. and felt really warm, once I got moving! Ditto for bicycling in the cold; I have a pair of neoprene socks & special gloves that block out the wind. I also have a Balaclava hood, which is great for keeping your whole head warm.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9

Related article: Exercise Found to Bring Benefits For Frail Older Individuals

http://margotbworldnews.com/News/Sep/Sep10/benefits.html

A snippet:

"I think it’s probably true to say that the older people get, the less they believe that making some supposedly healthy change to their lifestyle will make a significant difference to their health and wellbeing. If you’ve eaten a particular way for 80 years, I reckon it can be hard for some people to image eating a different way is going to matter much in the grand scheme of things. Similarly with exercise.

However, I also know that very significant benefits can be had in the elderly with the right approach. I was thinking about this while reading a study published this week which tested the impact of exercise in a group of individuals aged 61-89, some of whom were officially described a ‘frail’ [1]. Half of the group engaged in regular exercise, while the other half did not."

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 9

We all know we need to keep moving to attain and retain physical health. Which of these ideas do you think will work best for you? Or do you have another fantastic idea? Share it! Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Colder Season Workout Ideas for Seniors

Message 9 of 9

Some areas of the country have already gotten snow and ice. Here are ideas to help you continue your exercise program during colder months.

senior woman with hand weights.jpgWinter Workout Exercises For Seniors, via the Retire At Home blog

Exercise is important all year round but perhaps most importantly during the winter months when it is too cold and hazardous for seniors to spend time outside. There are many exercises that can be done in the comfort of the senior’s home or indoors that are effective and safe.

Indoor Exercises/Physical Activities

• Yoga
  • Pilates
  • Water Aerobics
  • Dance Classes
  • Tai Chi Classes
  • Go To the Gym 
  • Swim In an Indoor Pool
  • Walk Indoors 

senior man doing push ups.jpg

Many seniors are discouraged by barriers such as chronic health conditions or concerns about injuries or falling. If an individual has not exercised regularly in the past, they may not know where to begin. Perhaps recurring health problems or disabilities are keeping them from being active or perhaps they believe themselves too old or frail. Frankly, seniors simply do not have the option of not exercising if they want to remain healthy and live longer. Exercise plays a key role in staying strong, being energetic, and staying healthy as we get older.

No matter one’s age or their current physical condition, they can benefit from exercise. The rewards of exercise don’t require strenuous, daily workouts or frequent trips to the gym. It’s simply about incorporating more movement and activity into one’s life, often even in small ways. Whether an individual is generally healthy, is managing some illness, or even if they are housebound, there are numerous ways to get the body going and to improve their health.

Physical Benefits of Exercise for Seniors

1. Helps seniors lose or maintain a healthy weight
  2. Reduces the impacts of chronic disease and illnesses
  3. Enhances balance, flexibility, and mobility
  4. Improves sleep habits
  5. Good for the brain

The more active seniors become, the more rewards they will reap. It important for people to stay positive and motivated about their exercise programs, even if life’s obstacles get in the way of progress (like inclement weather). The most important thing to remember is that more activity leads to more energy for fun, enjoyable activities and once it becomes a habit, most seniors will never want to give that up.

Get more indoor exercise ideas and lots more information about senior fitness here: http://www.retireathome.com/winter-workout-exercises-for-seniors/

Kudos
Views
Replies