Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Can You Out Hike A 9 Y-O?

Message 1 of 4

lol, no. Maybe I can out hike every other 9-year-old, but not this one.

I do plan to do some through hiking, but no museum is going to be asking for my t-shirt either .

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

lol, well, I was going to say I regularly outhike my own 10 year old son.....but my 10 year old son does nothing like this kid!   Good for him!  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

A portion of the Denver Post story:

Over the past five years, Christian Thomas has hiked nearly 8,000 miles, completing the three trails that make up the Triple Crown of United States hiking. That in itself is a very big deal. But even more jaw-dropping is this: Christian is just 9 years old.

“We thought it was going to be like a fun two-week trip,” the Colorado fourth-grader said of that first long hike with his mom and stepdad. “And then we just kept going and going.” Nine months later, they’d finished the Appalachian Trail. “And then we thought, ‘Why not do the other two?’ ”

So the next year, when Christian was 6, the family spent eight months on the Pacific Crest Trail, crossing snow-lined mountain passes and scorching deserts. He finished the Triple Crown by completing the Continental Divide Trail two months ago.

Full story here: http://www.denverpost.com/2017/11/14/christian-thomas-colorado-hiking-triple-crown-record/

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Can You Out Hike A 9 Y-O?

Message 4 of 4

So there's this young Coloradan that's already completed the Pacific Crest Trail, the Continental Divide Trail and the Appalachian Trail. He's nine. Some of his past hiking attire is displayed in museums. And why not? He's the youngest hiker to complete the US hiking triple crown.

DH and I have hiked parts of the PCT and parts of the CDT, but none of the AT. Yet. And when we do, nobody but nobody will be asking for our stinky t-shirts for a museum display. Guaranteed. Smiley Happy

How about you? Any plans to make like this 9 year old and complete the triple crown? (maps below)

Read all about this astounding lad here:  http://www.denverpost.com/2017/11/14/christian-thomas-colorado-hiking-triple-crown-record/

appalachian_traillarge.gifAppalachian Trail Map

continentaltrail map.pngUS portion of the Continental Divide Trail

pct_map-02.jpgPacific Crest Trail Map

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Replies