Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Social Butterfly

Best Health Books You Have Read

As far as Mental Health-  I would have to say The Upward Spiral by Alex Korb - a neuroscientist who explain in layman's terms, about how your brain functions when it comes to depression and anxiety.  Excellent, highly recommend.   ---  Christine

Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm always into learning more about mental health @Rhymesometimes. I will add The Upward Spiral to my reading list! I recently read "The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma" by Bessel van der Kolk. It goes into detail about how our brains process trauma to protect us, and how our trauma responses cause us to disconnect from our bodies/feelings. We become stuck in survival mode. In order to heal, we have to acknowledge how trauma affects our entire organism. It was a tough read in that it triggered memories of past trauma for me, but I also decided to read it while undergoing CBT in order to regain agency, self-awareness and get to the root causes of my adult issues.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@AARPRachelA  First, I am so sorry for the past trauma that you experienced.  Second, I am so proud of you for have the courage to examine your past, and have a supportive plan and therapy to help process those difficult memories.  You are a warrior girl!  Will look up the book you mentioned, it sounds fascinating.  Always looking for resources to improve my well-being.  By courageously sharing our stories about mental health issues, we are helping countless person, and removing the shame and stigma that have been attached to mental health.  Whoo hoo!   ---  Christine

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP