Credit freezes are free under a federal law that just went into effect. Learn how to protect your credit.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Best Fitness Hacks of 2017

Message 1 of 19

@BronwynM413834wrote:

Hi, do you know if one can get Zumba in different classifications? Saw someone posted about Zumba steps? The ones here be us seems to be a fast-paced, not something everyone can do, lol :-) I was just wondering.

Thanks for sharing everyone, sharing is caring :-)

Hi @BronwynM413834  You bet! A quick search at You Tube will turn up scores of programs specifically for seniors. Search for either Zumba for Seniors or Zumbagold. Here are a few videos I found:

Advance past the text for the actual Zumba program.

Another take on dancing for exercise (for seniors):

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 19

Hi, do you know if one can get Zumba in different classifications? Saw someone posted about Zumba steps? The ones here be us seems to be a fast-paced, not something everyone can do, lol :-) I was just wondering.

Thanks for sharing everyone, sharing is caring :-)

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 19

elizabetho623930 wrote:

This sounds great, but I have bad hips and need hip replacements but can’t get them yet for complicated medical reasons. I need to exercise though! What can I do when just walking is painful?

Another option for you besides the good ones from Epster is water exercise because the boyancy of water keeps the weight off your hips and allows you to move easier.  If you have access to a local Y or health facility that would be a good option.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 19

ellen031978 wrote:

There are many great exercises that one can do at the gyms today, but after trying most I found one of the besr is Zumba Step. You are mostly dancing to some great upbeat music and the step does not have to be used. When using the step more cardio is active. Try it, you may like it    

Hi @ellen031978 Ellen, and welcome to the online community.

Our local senior center offers Zumba classes. I have friends who talk it up all the time. One of these days I'll have to go get my cardio on with them. Smiley Happy I hear it's a lot of fun.

For any one unfamiliar with Zumba: 

A commercial for Zumba.

An easy Zumba class.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 19

@elizabetho623930  I wish you great health (and a good time) while you explore your pre- and post- hip replacement operation exercise options. Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 19

There are many great exercises that one can do at the gyms today, but after trying most I found one of the besr is Zumba Step. You are mostly dancing to some great upbeat music and the step does not have to be used. When using the step more cardio is active. Try it, you may like it    

Ellen B Henton
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 19

Thnaks for your response! These ideas really help to look at all the options, many I hadn't thought of.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 19

r604363s wrote:

About 10 yrs ago I found out that I had a heart condition that would eventually have to be corrected.  Shortly after that I started running.  I knew I needed to have a good cardio program to stay healthy.  Anyway a two years ago I finally had the surgery, things went great and my recovery was a bit dicey but I am now back to "normal".  I still run, cycle and do some strength training.  What helped more than anything was keeping track of my progress (or lack of) because in the end all we are really doing is fighting aging.  If you don't fight, you are garanteed to lose, and usually sooner than later.  Set goals, meet or beat them, set new goals as you age, repeat.

Sage advice that bears repeating. Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 19

About 10 yrs ago I found out that I had a heart condition that would eventually have to be corrected.  Shortly after that I started running.  I knew I needed to have a good cardio program to stay healthy.  Anyway a two years ago I finally had the surgery, things went great and my recovery was a bit dicey but I am now back to "normal".  I still run, cycle and do some strength training.  What helped more than anything was keeping track of my progress (or lack of) because in the end all we are really doing is fighting aging.  If you don't fight, you are garanteed to lose, and usually sooner than later.  Set goals, meet or beat them, set new goals as you age, repeat.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 19

r604363s wrote:

I just met a man last week at my gym that is scheduled for hip replacement surgery in two weeks.  He used to be a runner, switched to cycleing when he couldn't run any more.  Then he found the stair stepper which he just loves.  For him it was a matter of how much discomfort you can tolerate, and then move on when it gets too uncomfortable.  But above all don't give up. He said the payback of a little discompfort was well worth effort and he felt much better afterward.  Talk with your doc and get suggestions.

Hi @btlRickas and welcome to the online community!

Boy ain't that the truth?  If I had not been willing to put up with a little discomfort along the way I would never have gotten back into shape.

Kudos
Views