Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Social Butterfly

Best Energy Sustaining Meals?

Homemade Smoothie:

Milk or Milk substitute ( I like 100% grass-fed , hubby likes soy  )

Yogurt ( plain Greek )

Sunflower, Pumpkin and Chia Seeds

Veggie of Choice ( Broccoli, Spinach, Kale ) 

Fruit of Choice Blueberries, Strawberries, Raspberries, Cherries -

always include banana makes it creamy

Protein Powder ( we use Nature's Sunshine brand )

Few Drops of Peppermint essential oil

Avocado

Oats

Blend it up, delicious.  Endless combinations.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

The latest thing I've been trying out, are alternates to the standard pasta. The lentil pasta is pretty good.  I throw in a low- sugar, low sodium pasta sauce, and add lots of veggies.  A favorite combo is cherry tomatoes cut in half and asparagus cut in small pieces , with a bit of olive oil and parm. cheese. Yum! Will try the chick-pea pasta next.

Anyone else experimenting with alternative pasta choices? Would love to hear your reviews on them.

Contributor

I just picked up an electric spiralizer second hand and I was amazed at how easy it was to make my own zucchini, parsnip, and sweet potato "noodles". For the zucchini, I used a little marinara and shredded parmesan. On the sweet potato, I made a peanut chili sauce and for the parsnips, a fresh spinach and garlic sauce.

Social Butterfly

@TerriE792688  You are a pasta rock star!  Such a great idea.  Do you remember where you got the electric spiralizer?  I have a manual one, and it's okay, not great.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Starfrit is the brand name. I paid 15 at a resale shop. It's not fancy but it is super easy to use. I roasted the parts that were left and that I trimmed off of the sweet potatoes to get it to fit in the hopper so there was no waste.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly

@TerriE792688 Thank you so much for the info.  I'm definitely checking it out.  There's so many veggies calling out to be spiralized. 😄 I'm coming for you sweet potato. I was thinking of doing that, and then a little olive oil and baking it.  Keep us posted of any additional spiraling activities. 

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

I like to do one-pot pasta recipes using alternative pasta @Rhymesometimes. Last night, I had beetroot pasta. It was beautiful and tasty! I added sliced tomatoes, green pepper, onion and pasta to the pot. Used chicken stock to cook until the pasta was ready, drained and topped with a drizzle of olive oil, parm cheese and pepper. Delicious! I also sometimes use farro in place of pasta. It's nutty and nutritious. If you get the whole-grain version, you have to do an overnight soak.

I have just begun to change over the pasta. I married an Italian so it's been hard to convince him. Any recommendations?

Social Butterfly

@NancyB762509  Also spaghetti squash when it's in season is a good alternative.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@NancyB762509 Congratulations on your (new?) marriage, and trying to find ways to eat more healthfully.  Of course the first thing you can try, is going to 100% whole wheat pasta and mix in some of the pasta you are currently using.  There is also a ton of single ingredient pastas like lentil, chick pea, or the quinoa and brown rice pasta that I have found at Trader Joes ( probably at a lot of supermarkets now ) Good luck with the transition, and remember you can still  splurge on the pasta you are currently eating, now and then, throw lots of veggies in the mix, and it's pretty healthy. 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@AARPRachelA Both versions sound delicious!  I'm on a low-oxalate diet because of kidney stones, so no beets for me.  But the farro may be a game changer in my diet.  Some oxalate lists say it's high, others low.  Found out there were three types of farro.

Farro piccolo ( einkorn ), farro medio ( emmer ) article said that best quality one and then farrp grande ( spelt ).  Going to do more research and see if any of these types could work for me.  Thank you for the inspiration to keep looking for healthy alternatives.  Either way, the one-pot pasta idea is brilliant, who wants to wash more dishes?  

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

YUM 😋 that smoothie sounds delicious @Rhymesometimes! I've never thought to add peppermint essential oil to a smoothie! I sometimes use silken tofu to make my smoothies creamy and to add protein.

I also like to make energy bites using dates, nuts and other dried fruits for quick snacks. Check out this Mango-Date Energy Bites recipe, which can be tweaked to your liking. I sometimes roll them in cocoa powder to make healthy truffles.

Social Butterfly

@AARPRachelA  Love energy balls, I'll try the mango- date energy bites, they sound good.

Social Butterfly

Most mornings I have oatmeal, 100% grass fed milk, sunflower, chia and pumpkin seeds, berries, a few walnuts.

What breakfast sustains your energy through the morning?

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

The best would be tea, yogurt and a spoon of peanut butter and your ready to go with a full stomach with energy. 

Racquel Evans

My go to is oatmeal with a scoop of Multicomplex protein powder (as I get older the harder it is for me to digest beef and pork and dairy products). I use almond milk as an alternative. 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@RacquelE712599  That sounds like a good before or after workout treat too.

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

Thank you @Rhymesometimes

Racquel Evans
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP