Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Bacon, soda & too few nuts tied to big portion of US deaths

Message 1 of 7

@retiredtraveler wrote:

I guess DW and I are doing it right. We have all the good items, pretty much weekly, and don't have the 'bad' items, except on occasion. We don't do dessert, ever, at home (except on holiday with a gathering).

We got off salt a long time ago. We don't have a salt shaker. We get enough of it when mixing in some canned goods (such as diced tomatoes on veggies), and learned that other seasonings more than make up for salt.  We really like Indian curries. 

DW's doc has her (and I started too) eating 5 almonds a day. Yes, doc specified 5, no more, due to fat content, but that's enough for the health benefit.

@retiredtraveler Right there with ya on the 5 almonds a day and the curries. I swear I'll curry anything. Smiley Happy Last week it was mini curried mackeral patties and curried stuffed poblanos. This morning it will be curried poached eggs. 

I do stay away from canned veggies, preferring fresh or frozen for nutrient content (used to can everything myself, but I'm easing up on that ahead of retirement.)

I think it is safe to say that we owe our continued good health on this focus on food quality.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

I guess DW and I are doing it right. We have all the good items, pretty much weekly, and don't have the 'bad' items, except on occasion. We don't do dessert, ever, at home (except on holiday with a gathering).

We got off salt a long time ago. We don't have a salt shaker. We get enough of it when mixing in some canned goods (such as diced tomatoes on veggies), and learned that other seasonings more than make up for salt.  We really like Indian curries. 

DW's doc has her (and I started too) eating 5 almonds a day. Yes, doc specified 5, no more, due to fat content, but that's enough for the health benefit.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

@Centristsin2010  Thanks for posting this. I read this article on Twitter this week and almost posted it here myself. Thanks for beating me to it. Smiley Happy I think in general it is good to see these statistics, to review one's situation against the latest health wisdom.

While neither DH or I ever drank soda, and we gave up beef nigh onto 30 years ago and we avoid processed meats, at last year's check-up he was shown to have a wee bit of plaque build up in his carotid artery. So I got to work serving him more walnuts, flax, oatmeal and started us on cod liver oil. Yesterday he had a carotid artery ultrasound  that showed his artery clean as a whistle.

My suggested take-away: even the diet of life-long health nuts can be made better. If we are to experience great health at this stage of life, it is up to the individual to pay attention to lifestyle, diet and to know more than a little something about how well their system is functioning. And then you can make meaningful adjustments.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7
Hey Cent -

" the chicken soap diet"

This must be the one my Mom put me on when I tried out some cuss words.

;-)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@Centristsin2010 - Good basics, but diets need to be tailored to the individual too! I have low BP, and the doctor told me to increase my salt consumption a little. Some diets today believe that "vegetables are mandatory, fruit is optional" .. and 3 pieces of fruit a day is a lot .. lots of sugar & carbs, even if they're "natural". Best place for people to start, is to eliminate fast food, processed food & soda.

Maybe you didn't read, or misread the following:

"Gorging on bacon, skimping on nuts? These are among food habits that new research links with deaths from heart disease, strokes and diabetes.

Overeating or not eating enough of the 10 foods and nutrients contributes to nearly half of U.S. deaths from these causes, the study suggests."

No where did the article suggest this was recommended for ALL Americans with ALL health conditions.  I'll take the word of the Journal of the American Medical Association over the "take" by "some diets".  Many diets have been proven to be unhealthy, eg. the chocolate/pasta diet, the chicken soap diet, the 3 day hot-dog diet or the blood type diet to name just a few.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

@Centristsin2010 - Good basics, but diets need to be tailored to the individual too! I have low BP, and the doctor told me to increase my salt consumption a little. Some diets today believe that "vegetables are mandatory, fruit is optional" .. and 3 pieces of fruit a day is a lot .. lots of sugar & carbs, even if they're "natural". Best place for people to start, is to eliminate fast food, processed food & soda.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Bacon, soda & too few nuts tied to big portion of US deaths

Message 7 of 7

Bacon, soda & too few nuts tied to big portion of US deaths

CHICAGO — Gorging on bacon, skimping on nuts? These are among food habits that new research links with deaths from heart disease, strokes and diabetes.

Overeating or not eating enough of the 10 foods and nutrients contributes to nearly half of U.S. deaths from these causes, the study suggests.

"Good" foods that were under-eaten include: nuts and seeds, seafood rich in omega-3 fats including salmon and sardines; fruits and vegetables; and whole grains.

"Bad" foods or nutrients that were over-eaten include salt and salty foods; processed meats including bacon, bologna and hot dogs; red meat including steaks and hamburgers; and sugary drinks.

The research is based on U.S. government data showing there were about 700,000 deaths in 2012 from heart disease, strokes and diabetes and on an analysis of national health surveys that asked participants about their eating habits. Most didn't eat the recommended amounts of the foods studied.

The 10 ingredients combined contributed to about 45 percent of those deaths, according to the study.

It may sound like a familiar attack on the typical American diet, and the research echoes previous studies on the benefits of heart-healthy eating. But the study goes into more detail on specific foods and their risks or benefits, said lead author Renata Micha, a public health researcher and nutritionist at Tufts University.

The results were published Tuesday in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Micha said the foods and nutrients were singled out because of research linking them with the causes of death studied. For example, studies have shown that excess salt can increase blood pressure, putting stress on arteries and the heart. Nuts contain healthy fats that can improve cholesterol levels, while bacon and other processed meats contain saturated fats that can raise levels of unhealthy LDL cholesterol.

In the study, too much salt was the biggest problem, linked with nearly 10 percent of the deaths. Overeating processed meats and undereating nuts and seeds and seafood each were linked with about 8 percent of the deaths.

The Food and Drug Administration's recent voluntary sodium reduction guidelines for makers of processed foods and taxes that some U.S. cities have imposed on sugar-sweetened beverages are steps in the right direction, Micha said.

A journal editorial said public health policies targeting unhealthy eating could potentially help prevent some deaths, while noting that the study isn't solid proof that "suboptimal" diets were deadly.

The study's recommended amounts, based on U.S. government guidelines, nutrition experts' advice, and amounts found to be beneficial or harmful in previous research.

"Good" ingredients

—Fruits: 3 average-sized fruits daily

—Vegetables: 2 cups cooked or 4 cups raw vegetables daily

—Nuts/seeds: 5 1-ounce servings per week — about 20 nuts per serving

—Whole grains: 2 ½ daily servings

—Polyunsaturated fats, found in many vegetable oils: 11 percent of daily calories

—Seafood: about 8 ounces weekly

"Bad" ingredients

—Red meat: 1 serving weekly — 1 medium steak or the equivalent

—Processed meat: None recommended

—Sugary drinks: None recommended

—Salt: 2,000 milligrams daily — just under a teaspoon.

http://www.startribune.com/bacon-soda-too-few-nuts-tied-to-big-portion-of-us-deaths/415583824/

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Replies