Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Ayurvedic Diet

I have been recently introduced to something called an Ayurvedic Diet. It consists of all plant and herb related food supplements. Is it effective? 

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Let me preface my answer by stating I have a master's degree in medicinal chemistry, a Ph.D. in physical organic chemistry, and have devoted my life to understanding how the molecules in plants can be used to help humankind. The answer to your question is, "Yes...mostly." The health benefits of the herbs, fruits, veggies, mushrooms, etc used in Ayurvedic diet have undergone rigorous scientific testing and found to truly have all sorts of benefits for use. The "mostly" part of my answer comes from the issue of a purely plant-based diet. If one is extremely careful, dedicated, and willing to spend the money you can get all the nutrients needed this way. Alas, many people don't give such a diet the amount of effort necessary and end up malnourished. Not everybody, but many. If you're the type that can't/won't give it your all then I strongly recommend you keep meat products, in moderation, in your diet. Fish, lean wild game, and assort organs (available in capsule forms if you don't like liver, kidneys, etc) would help your body by giving it what we evolved giving it.

-Mark

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com
Bronze Conversationalist

Happy to see someone else is familiar with Ayurveda, altho your knowledge is much beyond mine, @MarkV847771 

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I'm a plant nerd. Lol!

-Mark

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com
Conversationalist

Thank you, this was very informative. I am not the original poster yet always love to learn new things.

Shari
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP