Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Ask the Expert: Age-Related Weight Gain

Community Manager
Community Manager

Ask the Expert: Age-Related Weight Gain

You donโ€™t have to gain weight as you age. Thatโ€™s the simple yet revolutionary promise of The Whole Body Reset, by authors Stephen Perrine and Heidi Skolnik.

Join us from March 30th to April 1st  to answer your questions about diet and exercise as you age. Learn why standard diet and exercise advice stops working for us as we approach midlifeโ€”and how simple changes to the way we eat can halt, and even reverse, age-related weight gain and muscle loss. Steve has been an author, editor, or publisher on more than two dozen New York Times bestsellers, including the Eat This, Not That! series. As Executive Editor for AARP the Magazine and the AARP Bulletin, he oversees health and wellness coverage reaching more than 38 million readers. He is coauthor, with Danica Patrick, of Pretty Intense, and co-creator of Better Man, a nationally syndicated health and wellness TV show for men. The former editor-in-chief of Best Life and editorial creative director of Menโ€™s Health, he has appeared as a nutrition expert on The Today Show, Good Morning America, and the 700 Club.

Steve will join us to answer questions like:

• Why isnโ€™t weight gain inevitable as we age?
  • What is โ€œprotein timingโ€ and why is it relevant?
  • How should we think about food as we age?
  • How does what we eat affect the bodyโ€™s response to exercise?

Ask your questions now to get 50 AARP Rewards points and join us from March 30th  to April 1st to hear from Steve as he provides guidance and expertise on age-related weight gain. To ask a question, use the reply button below.

AARP Members, access a free excerpt from The Whole Body Reset now.

Rethink your approach to dieting and weight loss with the AARP Staying Sharp eight-week challenge based on The Whole Body Reset. Get started now. Additionally, Staying Sharp users can get 40% off The Whole Body Reset until May 31, 2022.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Good morning! This concludes โ€œAsk the Expertโ€ with @StephenPerrine. Special thanks to Steve for spending a few days with us and providing participants with a wealth of information and resources.

You may purchase the book here. For additional information and resources, please visit 6 Science-Based Steps to Losing Weight'The Whole Body Reset' Weight-Loss Success Stories, 'The Whole Body Reset' Authors Discuss Practical Health Advice , and the AARP Staying Sharp eight-week challenge, Weight Loss After 50.

Many thanks for your participation--we hope to see you again in the AARP Online Community!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have really enjoyed reading the book (a few times!).   There is a lot of good information.  I am moving from fasting to this approach.  I am female, 67 yrs.   I started with high protein, high fiber, good fats about 3 weeks ago.  feel good!  and focused.   I struggle with the amount of food, having to bother with 3 meals a day and I am not a morning person so don't start the whole thing until 10am.    I do make one of the meals a shake with choc protein powder and other greens and vitamin powder.   Is it ok to have last meal at 8pm?   if i sleep at 11pm.   or, is that too late for a meal?   also,  like others I want an app.    I am not counting calories, but protein and fiber.   would be great to enter the items I eat during the day and then know what i should eat for the last meal based on how much of protein and fiber I had earlier in the day.  thanks for all your research!  leslie

Contributor

I would like to know your recommendation for alcohol consumption?  The book does not mention it.  Thank you!

AARP Expert

Hi Deborah,

Our feeling in creating the book was that, as a grownup, you've probably already made your choices around alcohol, and we're not going to impact your thinking all that much. That said, more and more research has shown that no amount of alcohol is good for you--not for your heart, not for your brain, and certainly not for your waistline. 

I am having trouble getting in all the protein I need every day.  My system seems to rebel with that much protein.  Is there something I can do to help with that?  Maybe take bromelain to help with digestion?

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
AARP Expert

Hi Michelle,

It's hard to know how to advise you, since I'm not sure what "rebelling" means in this context. That said, as you follow The Whole Body Reset, you shouldn't be eating much more protein than the average person already does on a daily basis. You might want to look at your portion sizes, especially in the second half of the day--if you're adding protein in the morning, but still eating a typical American dinner, then perhaps you need less protein at night? And remember, protein isn't just in animal foods; vegetables, beans, nuts and seed all contain protein, and can be part of your overall total. 

Social Butterfly

How come I have developed a beer belly when I donโ€™t even drink beer?

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

We call it a "beer belly" because beer is loaded with carbohydrates and contains no protein, fiber, or healthy fats--so it strongly contributes to the gathering of fat in the midsection. But lots of other things are high in carbs and low in protein and fiber and healthy fats--white bread, white rice, sugary snacks, baked goods, soda, sweet tea...you get the idea. The Whole Body Reset should help reduce this issue by ensuring you have plenty of protein, fiber and healthy fats at each meal. 

Contributor

Although I walk consistently (2.5 miles 5 days/week) I still feel stiff. What should I add to my routine?  Iโ€™m sure itโ€™s a flexibility issue but not sure what the best activity is to address. Looking forward to buying the book!  Thx!

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
AARP Expert

It may well be a flexibility issue. The Whole Body Balance and Stretch is a program within the book designed to tackle this issue. Consider adding this, as well as a strength program, to your weekly routine. Also, mix up your route: If you consistently walk the same roads, for example, you may be causing an imbalance in your leg or hip muscles because your'e repeating the same movement on the same terrain. When one side of your body is even slightly stronger than the other, pain and stiffness can arise.

Contributor

I bought the book and am following the plan! Is there a chart/spreadsheet/PDF available of the Mix N Match Meal maker items for easy access? Will there be a dedicated "Whole Body Reset" website with pictures of the exercises, recommended foods/brands, and other tools?

Also, can you recommend a good quality, tasty Whey Protein powder? Thank you!

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

Unfortunately, there is no plan to launch a Whole Body Reset website at this time, but thank you for your encouragement! As for a PDF, there is one that comes with the audio book; for the print version, you can photocopy pages 36-39 for easy posting.

We did create videos of some of the exercises with mother-daughter duo Aiko Sokolowski and April Hattori. Visit https://videos.aarp.org/detail/video/6298724753001/10-minute-balance-and-stretch-workout.

As for whey proteins, there are a wide array of great brands available. In general, I recommend that you look for โ€œwhey protein isolate,โ€ which has had the lactose removed. These are slightly more expensive than โ€œwhey protein concentrate,โ€ but if you have even a little lactose sensitivity, theyโ€™re a big help.

Periodic Contributor

Does AARP have another online type resource or program that aligns with the book?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

You can try AARP's Staying Sharp Weight Loss After 50 Challenge. Find it here: https://stayingsharp.aarp.org/challenges/

Jodi Lipson
Periodic Contributor

So excited about this book! Can you tell me where to buy it?

Jodi Lipson
0 Kudos
AARP Expert

You can find the book at your favorite online or local bookseller, or go to aarp.org/wholebodyreset

Contributor

I read your book and I'm ready to change my eating habits. Will you be creating an app to go along with the book? It would be great to have a data base handy so I can look up the nutritional value of all foods and have a place where I can log my meals and have them total up the portion, fiber etc.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi - 

You might also try  AARP's Staying Sharp Weight Loss After 50 Challenge which has a lot of great downloadable PDF's  with rich information on portions, etc. . Find it here: https://stayingsharp.aarp.org/challenges/

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Great idea! While an app would be ideal for this plan, we don't have it in our short-term plans. Hopefully we can do it down the line.

Jodi Lipson

Director, AARP Books

Jodi Lipson
0 Kudos
Contributor

By the looks of the responses, a website with tools and expanded food lists would be better sooner than later. Take advantage of the book sales and reader excitement!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP