Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Are you a vegetarian or vegan?

Message 1 of 16

I became vegetarian because every year of my physical exam, I gained 25 pounds yet, I always ate the same.  Plus, the doctor said my thyroid is giving me a problem and wanted to put me on medication.  I told the doctor, I have one year to find out why I'm gaining weight( she had no clue) and why my thyroid is problematic.

So, I researched, and went to Down to Earth cooking classes in Hawaii, they are free to the public and found that we don't have to have meat of any kind to get protein!  Plus, they talk about having B-12 which can only come from meat.  That's another lie!  

Vegetables, the green ones, are builders of so many vitamins!  Protein=Beans( all kinds) and Lentils, Tofu are your buddies. Plus, your cholesterol will disappear.  Dairy, clogs the system,especially cheese.

Tofu tastes like nothing so get your spices out and experiment.  You have to trick your eyes, so example, you love scrambled eggs, take tofu, mash it up put tumeric, garlic, salt and stir fry with vegetables and your eyes see scrambled eggs.

Lentils, you make make a meatloaf, yes, and a stew that tastes like beef stew, yes, you make it the same but add more of your spices, you have no fat, and no cholesterol.

I don't eat eggs of any sort, it's cholesterol.

Pasta= who doesn't love pasta?!  But, there are all kinds so get vegetable kind, yes, there are and taste so good with your awesome Spaghetti sauce you made.  Get away from store bought additives. Make and freeze for later.

Garlic, Ginger, Tumeric, Will become your friends if not already!

Vegetables are a big part of your plate, get to know them, and experiment, yes you become a detective overnight.  Try and even it doesn't taste good, keep experimenting on recipes, go online, YouTube for cooking tips, yes, it works!

My world opened up big time and found out what you've been told since a kid is lies about Meat and Dairy!

when, I returned to my doctor, a year later, my doctor looked at me and said" What have you been doing?"  I said " Is it good or bad?"  She said " Your thyroid problem disappeared, your cholesterol is normal, you lost 50 pounds!" So, what did you do?  I became a vegetarian but haven't eaten meat in a year or ate dairy.  She said " Keep up the good work!"  She said " Since ,your not eating meat,you should take B-12 supplements.

I'm still on this regime for 15 years and will never go back.

I asked my new doctor about my B-12 and she said it was elevated because I was taking B-12 supplements when I moved and found out that this is why- I eat more hummus and it's made with Tahini, that is loaded with B-12 and B vitamins.  

I also don't take flu shots because they don't say what's in it.  I only get colds.

I don't drink Milk, because my son almost DIED from it, yes, it's so true. So, what can you drink?  I drink Hemp, Almond, and Tahini Milk for calcium.  I don't take supplements because of side effects.

I don't take any medications, nor want to ever.

So, want to better yourself and don't take medications, it's your choice!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 16

I am vegan for ethical reasons. I do not use any animal products. My diet is mostly whole foods and plant based. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 16

Eating as a vegetarian or vegan is the healthiest way to go!  There are so many recipes and cookbooks to help you with your decision to stop eating meat or at the least cut way back on your animal protein intake. The more healthy veggies and fruits you eat, the more your body will thank you. It helps you lose weight as you will have more nutrients with less calories. This makes our bodies full faster and less likely to overeat. You can start by eating a big salad every day with romaine, shredded red cabbage and carrots and any other salad veggies you wish. Add some nuts or seeds on top for crunch. Have fun!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 16

My Health and Animal Rights are my MAIN reason for my complete re haul switch! 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 16

VEGETARIAN ! Almost there to Vegan.  I did a complete re haul on my diet when I had Cancer 19 years ago! Never did Chemo or Radiation, the Cancer was removed, and I have had no issues since! Prior to the Cancer I was getting Cysts and Tumors. They would be removed and a bigger one would return until Cancer itself formed.  All Meat and Dairy has been removed from my diet . Veggies & Fruits are number one. I have Tofu , and many tofu products which all are seriously, good! I do not drink soda.  No alcohol and no drugs of any kind, ever ! I drink lots of water, mineral water and my number one go to for any ailment is: Coconut Water. It helps for everything. It can help with a cold / flu , stomach bug especially! Even food poisoning. I use Ginger Root in a lot of my food dishes. I try to eat Kimchi with added Garlic, Onions and Ginger Root. This stabilizes my system and keeps my Immune System at it's best! I have 3 grown sons with families of their own. Only one of my sons and his family follow on the same path as me. I watch as my other 2 sons and their familes have wieght issues and smaller health problems, which worries me, of course! They will not give up Meat! I have warned them of the health prroblems that come from it. My brother too, he is another one who will not switch, he tries at times. But, will not stay away from Meat! Carbs are not even as dangerous as Meat !  But, what I call " White Carbs " [ Sugar, Flour , White Rice ] they are nothing but glue, and plug ones system up to not work correctly, so how is that good ? I highly advise any one to make the siwtch for better health ! 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 16

I have been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for the past 10 years, and am phasing out dairy and sugar. Focusing my diet on fresh fruits and vegetables has been most helpful. Avoiding baked goods also helps, especially with weight management.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 16

I have been a lacto- ovo vegetarian for about 10 years. I enjoy excellent health. I am very rarely sick. I believe in kindness to all animals.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 16

Not either but I never eat red meat, just fish and a little chicken, lots of dairy, tons of vegetables, and good carbs. Works for me.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 16

I'm vegan and have been for nine years. I was vegetarian for four years before that. It was primarily for health reasons since my cholesterol was high. Knowing what I know now from all the scientific literature, I would never go back to following the Standard American Diet (SAD). Here are the books that got me started (and all of them have acompanying websites): Skinny **bleep** by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin, Eat to Live by Joel Furhman, MD, The China Study by T. Colin Campbell, and Crazy, Sexy Diet by Kris Carr. There are lots of other good books out there by Drs. Neal Barnard, John McDougall, Michael Greger, and others. They all have the same message -  a whole food, plant-based diet is healthy; other diets are not.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 16

Thank you for the tip on cooking hummus with a crock pot.  Smart.

Kudos
Views