Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Are you a vegetarian or vegan?

Message 11 of 18

I'm vegan and have been for nine years. I was vegetarian for four years before that. It was primarily for health reasons since my cholesterol was high. Knowing what I know now from all the scientific literature, I would never go back to following the Standard American Diet (SAD). Here are the books that got me started (and all of them have acompanying websites): Skinny **bleep** by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin, Eat to Live by Joel Furhman, MD, The China Study by T. Colin Campbell, and Crazy, Sexy Diet by Kris Carr. There are lots of other good books out there by Drs. Neal Barnard, John McDougall, Michael Greger, and others. They all have the same message -  a whole food, plant-based diet is healthy; other diets are not.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 18

Thank you for the tip on cooking hummus with a crock pot.  Smart.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 18
@VOYAGER vicki: Hi! I agree about the animal welfare. I have chickens, goats, two dogs and one husband. The husband and the German Shepherd need to change their attitudes about killing other animals; the rest of us are fine with vegetarian diets.
Iris
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 18

Hi @ip3285,

I'm also a lacto-ovo vegetarian for ethical reasons. I've been eating this way for 39 years. I try to eat healthy and feel that being a vegetarian helps in this. But the reason has always been for animal welfare reasons.

Vicki 

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 18

I'm a lacto-ovo-vegetarian -  I don't eat meat, but I do eat some organic dairy (yogurt and an occasional hot chocolate from Starbucks), and fresh eggs from my own chickens, plus fruits, vegetables and some whole grains at every meal.  I've been eating like this for about 35 years, first because I don't like killing animals, and second because I think it's a healthy way to eat.  My protein comes mostly from eggs, nut butters, yogurt, nuts, and organic tofu.  I also drink organic soy milk and organic unsweetened almond milk for more protein and other nutrients.  My blood tests come out excellent, so I must be getting all the nutrients my body needs from the way I eat.  And when I go down to my chicken coop, I don't have to look at some of my younger chickens and tell them that I ate their mother for dinner!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 18

I've been vegetarian by budget. I don't think I've had any meat, chicken, seafood for eight years or so. I'd get some quality chicken like I've seen at Whole Foods, but my budget just doesn't allow it. I make many dishes with beans. For instance, cooked up beans in the slow cooker, then "refried" them in olive oil, then made a 7-layer casserole with the beans on the bottom, layers of chopped pepper, onion, salsa, cheeses and chopped black olives.

I have chickpeas in the slow cooker now, I'm going to make a big batch of hummus. I mash and then use a stick blender right in the slow cooker, and add tahini, salt, lemon juice, olive oil, some cumin. It thickens more as it cools, too.

I make lentil soup, and use smoked paprika (instead of a meaty ham bone). I look to ensure I'm getting enough protein. I only get veggies or fruits on sale, or in the reduced produce section. I do eat eggs, so sometimes make pudding with eggs (like tapioca). I try to eat healthy, and buy what is on sale. A package of chicken is a huge portion of my whole budget. Do I miss it? Yes, but at this point, I know it is OK for me healthwise, so try to not think about it.   

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 18

Neither. But have gone the 'moderate' route. Don't eat more than a pound of meat in a week, if that. Rarely have red meat --- just some turkey, chicken. We never have a plain, piece of meat (no burgers, steak or the like). All meat is cooked 'traditionally', as it true with most cultures. That is, it's put into a stir fry, stew, soup. 

We do this diet as we believe it is healthier. And, the secret to all this is spices. We cook Indian, Thai, Chinese. Our favorite dish is Tikka Masala or Red Curry.  

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Are you a vegetarian or vegan?

Message 18 of 18

Are you a vegetarian or vegan? For how long? Why did you decide on this type of diet?

What tips or favorite foods/meal ideas can you give others who might be considering it?

Kudos
Views
Replies