WATCH NOW: Iowa presidential candidate forum from Council Bluffs. Appearing: Montana Gov. Steve Bullock, South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders. 

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Are you a night owl?

Message 1 of 28

I've been a night owl since I was a little kid. I had to fight against it during the school year, but stayed up super late during the summer and school breaks. Once I retire, I could be my natural self - I frequently read until 3 - 4- 5 am!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 28

A foolproof plan and an airtight alibi. Solutions to problems that don’t exist. Answers to questions that were never asked. Second guessing choices already made. Layers of regret disqised as good intentions. Intellectual conversations with imaginary friends. These are things that come to visit during the twilight hours, is it any wonder I cannot sleep.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 28

It’s almost 5:00 am still surrounded by darkness but sunlight waits in the shadows, patiently. It’s usually about this time of morning when I contemplate what new adventures await me in this new day. Do I dare to dream of rainbows and unicorns, or should I stay here on earth and see what reality has in mind. Tough decision, I guess I’ll sleep on it. May your dreams be filled with hope and happiness.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 28

I wish I could make more time for reading. It takes me forever to get through one book these days. How do you feel about audio books? Sounds like you're out and about a lot with your treatments, and even when you're at home, you're trying to get your house in shape. Maybe listening to a book on your phone might be enjoyable!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 28

Yes i always have been i get to bed arpund 1 and 3 am i find it bothers most but i enjoy the night I guess

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 28
Yes! The happiest time of my life was when I worked at the Navy Base from 4:30 to 12:30AM. I could sleep as late as I wanted in the mornings and run errands during the day. It was heaven and I was never sleep-deprived. Sadly, that only lasted about a year and since then I have been forced to be on a schedule much closer to 8 to 5. Sigh. Glad to know that others are just like me!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 28
I love your schedule and wish that I could share it but it's not realistic for me. Glad that you found something that works for you!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 28

Hi, Lisa,

First, let me thank you for the kudos and sending some right back in your direction for your informative message.  I, too, resent the idea that just because my body has a different "clock" that I am somehow deficient.  So we can be part of the same family in that way.  We have lots of company, as I'm sure you know.

I get up around 9 due to my medications schedule.  Today I couldn't talk myself into it until ;9:50.  Most days it is around 9.  I go to bed around midnight but last night I got a nosebleed just as I was getting into bed so I had to stay up until 2:30 before it was under control enough for me to sleep.  I am on oxygen and a blood thinner, so that is what happened.  We are working on reducing both in the near future.

Thanks for the info on that book.  I can't read right now because my house is a disaster area and I can't allow myself time to read when I need to be doing things around the house.  To me, reading is for filling time that doesn't have other responsibilities attached to it or to relax at the end of a productive day. Given my druthers, I would sit on a recliner and read every hour of every day, so I consider it a "nice to have."  Right now the cancer means lots of visits to the Cancer Center or hospital doctors' offices or one test or another or a blood draw.  I am blessed to have wonderful doctors and technicians and nurses and we all love each other, which I know is not always the case.  I was stricken before I was able to complete moving into my current home so there are still unsorted boxes that need to be addressed and things to be donated, tossed, or used here, which is why I don't feel that I can read for pleasure right now.  I am eating nibbles of the elepnant because my resources don't allow bites these days but nibbles will also eventurally eliminate the elephant, it will just take a lot longer to get there.  Hope that you are well.  Thank you again for the kudos and the info.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 28

When I was working, I stayed up till 1:00 or 1:30 a.m and got up at 7:30 a.m.  Needless to say, I lived for Saturdays when I would sleep till noon to recoup.

Now that I'm retired, I go to bed around 4:00 or 4:30 a.m. and get up around noon.  It's an odd lifestyle but it works for me.

I actually enjoy the time between midnight and 4:30 a.m. because I know no one will be emailing me, texting me or calling me.  It's true peace.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 28

I was an early bird most of my life, but about ten years ago, that changed. I started needing more sleep, and then staying up later became easier. Because I work for myself and make my own schedule, I never schedule phone or virtual meetings before 10 a.m. Meetings in person happen in the afternoon! Now I get to bed around midnight most nights and wake up between 8:30 and 9:00, sometimes later!

The book "When: Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing" has great research on "larks" vs "owls." Our chronotypes are all different, and there's nothing wrong with being a late riser. I dislike the term "sleeping in" to describe what I do. I'm getting a full night's sleep, not "sleeping in." And all the stuff these days about productivity, waking up at 4 in order to meditate, journal and exercise all before the crack of dawn and breakfast? I reject this as being the "only" way to live, as the author mentions: "Doug is viewed by society at large as a rock, a pillar, a stand-up guy with clean morals and a superb work ethic. Me? I’m a slug. I’m dragging down Western Civilization. I’m what’s left at the tail end of human evolution — a lazy, shiftless profligate who should be thoroughly ashamed of myself."

Kudos
Views