Do you or your loved ones suspect a scam? Report it now to the AARP Fraud Watch Network.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Are you a night owl?

Message 11 of 28

I used to be an early riser because, while growing up, I could hear the Naval Station playing reveilie (sp?) every morning about 5 or 6.  That continued after I started working, got married, had kids, went to school, and continued working.  Now that I have been divorced, kids are grown, I'm enjoying fruits of my career labor, and happily single.  I am usually up until one or two, reading, doing my finances, watching movies, chatting with kids on cell, and off to bed by two.  Sleep comes fast and I'm finally awake by 7, stay in bed listening to the news or music, and off and running by 8. Health is excellent, no worries at all.   It's a sweet life. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 28

YES. I feel the most alive between midnight and 4:00 am. Sometimes even later. I have also seen the sun come up before going to bed. Many nights. Most people are sleeping during these hours.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 28

I am a night owl. My favorite shift to work was second shift. 3 to 11 pm. I love being up alone in the wee hours. It seems like I can get more accomplished. I go to bed between midnight and three am. My alarm wakes me at 8am. Sometimes when I come home from work i'll take a short nap and wake up to stay up late. My dad worked second shift when I was a kid. Wonder if it heriditary?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 28

YES! I have been all of my life.  I forced myself to get up early for school and work, but whenever I had a weekend or vacation, I reverted to my natural patterns of late to bed and late to rise. 

Now that I am retired, I have to really value something or someone to get up before 9:00 AM.  I usually fall asleep between 2:00 and 3:00 AM, and wake up between 10:30 and 11:30 AM.  All of my volunteer work in the community and Church is in the afternoon or evening.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 28

I am a night owl too.  People ask me why can't I go to bed early and I ask them why can't you stay up late.  It's like there is something wrong with us.  I do my best work at night and I know many other night people.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 28
  1.  Yes, I am very much a night owl. Every morning I wake between 9:30-10:00 a.m. and generally go to bed between 4:00-5:00 a.m. and sometimes as late (7:00 a.m.). I find that with three to four to five hours of sleep I am more alert and rested than when I get more than six hours of sleep. There a lot of days when I don't even bother to go to sleep
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 28

Yes, I am a lifelong night owl and have struggled with it my entire life.  I looked forward to the day when I could retire and live on my own schedule but God had other plans.  First He called me to care for my mom for 6 years (wouldn't change a thing) and then I moved to another state to finally enjoy my retirement and was stricken with metastatic breast cancer that has hijacked my life.  I hope that this makes you feel better about yours.  I am not complaining, just stating the facts.  In the 60s, I worked at the Norfolk Navy Base and went food shopping at 2AM alternate Thursdays in an empty store that was open 24 hours a day because of the base.  I predicted that by the turn of the century, the world would be on 24-hour schedules because it made sense-- only 1/3 of the traffic on the roads at one time, only 1/3 of the commuters on the buses and trains, only 1/3 or the parking lot spaces filled-- but it never happened and now we have gridlock and delays everywhere.  I do get that the maintenance and repairs happen during the down times but NYC trains run 24/7 and they make it work.  Anyway, my medication schedule makes me get up earlier than I would like and my medical appointments do the same.  So it appears that for the rest of my life, I will be fighting my body clock, which all by itself is tiring.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 28

I have always been an early bird.  I fade at 7:00 and in bed by 10:00 up at 5:00 or 6:00.  This has not changed since I retired seven years ago.  When I did my 23 and Me spit in a cup routine the traits indicated a genetic predisposition to waking early.  Getting up early gives me time to slide into the day when the house is quiet.  My sleeping habits never changed with retirement.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 28

I have insomnia. I’m lucky if I sleep two hours a night, and I rarely take naps in the daytime.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 28

🦉

Kudos
Views