Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Are You Brainwashed About Your Abilities Based on Age?

Message 11 of 12

Definitely NOT.  I had some medical issues start at 70.  But I continued to do all the things I had been doing, volunteering, working 2 days a week, walking, babysitting my grand children.  During my breast cancer treatments I never stopped doing any of the above.  I'm as young as I want to be on any given day.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Are You Brainwashed About Your Abilities Based on Age?

Message 12 of 12

No one's expecting us to be able to climb Mount Everest, if that hasn't been a goal we've been training for! But have you bought into old medical & social stereotypes, as far as what you should/shouldn't be able to do, and pains you should expect, just because you're 60, 70, 80 years old .. or older?!

Years back in my early 40s, my right wrist began bothering me, and I went to a doctor I'd only been to once or twice before. Her immediate reaction w/o asking questions, was to say that it "must" be arthritis because of my age, and sent me home with a brace to wear for a couple of weeks. Her stereotype really annoyed me, and I thought about why my wrist started to hurt. Aha .. we'd rearranged office furniture & my computer was several inches higher, than it had been. I told my boss & got my old computer stand back .. and the pain went away by itself!

Recently I attended a large women's event, and a friend dropped her phone while a few of us stood chatting. Neither she nor another woman at the table could bend down to pick the phone up, although they're both at least several years younger than me .. "knee problems"! I had no problem bending down to retrieve the phone. My trainer says that if more people strengthened their quads, they'd have less knee problems!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet