If you suspect you're a scam target, AARP's fraud helpline is here for you. Learn more.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Are You Brainwashed About Your Abilities Based on Age?

Message 1 of 12

After spine surgery in 2010 (when I was 70) it only took me about a month to be back in my Qi Gong class.  In January of 2015 I met current Significant Other who is a musician in a Rock n Roll band that travels all over northern California to the big classic car shows.  Now I am their Rock n Roll dancer who starts things when they perform to get other people to get up to dance.  I think all those "young" people out there (that is under 50) are shamed into getting up and starting to move when they see someone who looks like their grandmother doing it.  Sometimes I almost wish they wouldn't because I really enjoy my solos and being the "Star"!  No, I definitely DO NOT  think I have been brainwashed about my abilities!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 12

I keep a realistic attitude about my abilities.  At 71, I'm not the man I was 40 years ago, but I've adjusted what I do to allow myself to stay active.  I stopped running when my discs began to thin, but I ride a bicycle several days a week, still take my dogs for their morning consitutional, replaced my living room floor myself, and I still cut my lawn with a me-driven power mower.

The proper view, IMHO, is to recognize that the aging process is inevitiable, but disability is not, barring a medical event.  I see a lot of platitides about our abilities here, but in general, they provide good guidance on how to stay fit, active, and happy into whatever lies ahead.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 12

@retiredtraveler - There you go; no wonder he's motivated! And when people reach 90, have a good attitude & keep on truckin,' everyone's in their fan club!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 12

ASTRAEA wrote:

@retiredtraveler - Maybe he's looking for a lady friend, or being with the ladies reminds him of his significant other! Smiley Wink

From what I hear, all the ladies in the class have a fan club for him, including the married ones.... Smiley Wink

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 12

@retiredtraveler - Maybe he's looking for a lady friend, or being with the ladies reminds him of his significant other! Smiley Wink

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 12

I belong to a local gym that I have been going to for 25+ years. We do have a fair number of seniors working out, or taking classes.

I have been seeing a older gentleman taking Zumba classes for a couple of years (not my thing, but I tend to be at the gym while those classes are running). He's the only male I've ever seen in that class. Looks pretty fit, keeps up with the class movin' and groovin'.

I never had occasion to speak with him, but just found out the other day he just turned 90.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 12

@vp8667 wrote:

I turned 70 this year.  I do not feel like I am old.  I work 2 days a week in a dentist office, I try to walk 2.5 miles at least 5 days a week and I help my 73 year old husband with his medical issues.  I do most of our yard work and love it!  If you can stay healthy, you will not feel old.  It really is a state of mind.  I always laugh when I see 70 referred to as elderly.  Really?????

That's awesome. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 12

I turned 70 this year.  I do not feel like I am old.  I work 2 days a week in a dentist office, I try to walk 2.5 miles at least 5 days a week and I help my 73 year old husband with his medical issues.  I do most of our yard work and love it!  If you can stay healthy, you will not feel old.  It really is a state of mind.  I always laugh when I see 70 referred to as elderly.  Really?????

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 12

Not too long ago, I was in a telephone meeting with a bunch of younger guys in a software company I was involved with. At one point, one of them made a snarky remark about modifying the user interface in offensive ways so older people could use it. I responded by saying, "OK, I have a challenge for you young guys who think we older guys are over the hill. I'll show you "over the hill": We'll meet at the base of the San Gabriel Mountains with bicycles, ride up into the mountains, past the San Gabriel and Morris reservoirs, along East Fork Rd., and back over the mountains on Glendora Ridge Rd. This is about 50 miles and climbing to just over 3000 feet. I'll donate $100 to a public radio or TV station for everyone who makes it with me, but if you have to drop out, you donate $100. Who's with me?"

Silence.

Just as well; a lot of those guys would have had heart attacks if they tried it. It's easy to assume that older people are infirm, but in fact a great percentage of younger ones are so overweight and out of shape that many of us older guys are in far better condition.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 12

People of all ages open doors for me and I try to do the same for others.

Kudos
Views