Rethink your job search and find opportunities for experienced workers with the AARP job board.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Are 15 Minute Walks Any Good?

Message 1 of 8

@NerdyMom wrote:

I hope so.    I do a 15 minute walk at lunch, at work.   

I try to get 1 hour of cardio a day, so breaking it up is often necessary.  It doesn't "feel" as good as 1/2 hour to 45 minutes of more intense cardio.  

But we do what we gotta do, right?  

@ManicProgressive  I understand your pain. LOL.  Lots of the people walking and doing 15 minute segments wants the activity.  Sitting for so long is an issue.  It seems hard to believe how little you could walk in a half day if you don't try.  I could easily stay on the phone in that chair for hours and no one would notice 😀

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 8

No opinions, just facts and math.

There are 3,500 calories in one pound of human fat.
There are 175,000 calories in fifty pounds of human fat.
There are 130,000 calories in forty pounds of human fat.
There are 105,000 calories in thirty pounds of human fat.
There are 70,000 calories in twenty pounds of human fat.

1.) A 200 pound, 5 foot tall, 70 year old woman walking 3 mph for 15 minutes burns 116 calories.

2.) A 150 pound, 5’ tall, 70 year old woman walking 3 miles per hour for 1 hour burns 185 calories.

3.) A 155 pound 5’9”, 58 year old woman walking 4 miles per hour for 1 hour and ten minutes burns 507 calories.

If person 1 from the examples above wanted to lose 75 pounds (which would put her in the middle of the ‘healthy weight’ category of the BMI chart), it would take her 6.2 years to do so, assuming she consumes 116 fewer calories per day than she eats (so probably no more than 1,884 calories per day), never goes off her diet, and walks 15 minutes at 3 MPH each dayReminder: many restaurant meals contain over 1,500 calories. So this probably means no eating out for over 6 years.

Just for reference: DH consumes 2,700 calories daily (mostly veggies, eggs, fruit, chicken, fish, yogurt, nuts and grains plus an occasional bit of cheese but almost zero baked goods and then only whole wheat tortillas and bread). He exercises for 900 minutes a week (that’s about 2 hours a day). His is a lean, muscular athlete’s body. While he did lose 20 pounds this year, he has been at a stable weight for over 3 months. Dude is burning some major calories, and his metabolism is high, so he can pretty much eat what he wants. He still eats healthy.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8

I hope so.    I do a 15 minute walk at lunch, at work.   

I try to get 1 hour of cardio a day, so breaking it up is often necessary.  It doesn't "feel" as good as 1/2 hour to 45 minutes of more intense cardio.  

But we do what we gotta do, right?  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

@nyadrn wrote:

There are so many people out there who Detest the idea of walking anywhere, thanks to our auto driven lifestyle

15 Minute segments are fairly easy to fit in in lots of situations.  Giving that a try is fairly easy.  If you like it keep going.  You have nothing to lose except maybe a little weight and it could be the start of something!

@nyadrn  Preach it! Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

There are so many people out there who Detest the idea of walking anywhere, thanks to our auto driven lifestyle

15 Minute segments are fairly easy to fit in in lots of situations.  Giving that a try is fairly easy.  If you like it keep going.  You have nothing to lose except maybe a little weight and it could be the start of something!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8

Any new or increased amount of movement can benefit a person looking to improve physical fitness. (standard disclaimers go here) The thing is that a person who weighs 300 pounds and who has a sedentary lifestyle can think of even a 5 minute walk as a good starting point --and they will probably lose weight as long as they don't finish the walk and eat a donut-- however that amount of exercise will not serve to get them all the way to a healthy weight.

Still, yes, of course! Take that 15 minute walk! Take a 5 minute walk, even. But please also stop drinking soda and eating prepared or fried foods and watch portion control and well, you know, the same old same old. Smiley Happy

Go!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 8

The American Heart Association's 2007 exercise guideline for healthy adults recommends 30 minutes of moderately intense exercise, such as brisk walking, 5 days a week. But they also say that the 30 minutes can be broken up into 2 to 3 bouts of exercise of 10 to 15 minutes.

Benefits of Walking Over 45 Minutes
After walking steadily for approximately 45 minutes, your body has burned off the available sugars (glycogen) it has stored up. Now it needs to begin to burn fat. Walking is a good way to turn the body on to burning stored fat. If you walk for 30 minutes or less, you are still burning calories, but they are the stored sugar calories (glycogen) rather than having to dip into the stored fat.

Is Walking 15 Minutes Helping Me Any?
Yes, your body still has burned calories that it wouldn't have burned. If you are on a low calorie diet, your body still will be burning fat as it doesn't have enough calories to get through the day.

Fit Life

https://www.verywell.com/are-15-minute-walks-any-good-3435087

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Are 15 Minute Walks Any Good?

Message 8 of 8

Are 15-Minute Walks Any Good?
Do You Need Longer Walks to Lose Weight?

By Wendy Bumgardner
Updated May 24, 2017
Question: Are 15-Minute Walks Any Good?
My walking is in 15-minute intervals, four times a day on most days. Is walking for 15 minutes, four times a day helping me to lose weight?

Answer: Walking for 15 minutes, four times a day burns as many calories as walking steadily for an hour. There are benefits to combining them into one longer walk, but you need to weigh that against what you enjoy doing and what fits into your schedule.

https://www.verywell.com/are-15-minute-walks-any-good-3435087

Kudos
Views
Replies