Forced Nursing Home Evictions Must Stop. AARP Foundation Is Helping Protect the Most Vulnerable. Learn How

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Am I at High Risk for a Heart Attack?

Message 1 of 3

That does seem a strange question to write into a magazine about. 

My heart attack risk is next to zero. My blood pressure, while normal, is on the low side, and my arteries are clean. Plus I tend to see the rainbow rather than the rain. This is all excellent, considering my father died of a heart attack in his 50s.

I eat a lot of oatmeal, avocados and walnuts. And I use a lot of olive oil. Plus don't eat much red meat, and when I do it is usually a homemade 1/8th pound elk or bison burger (that I've worked some oatmeal into). I eat nearly 3x the vegetables the New American Diet calls for.  My diet is helping me defeat bad genes. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content

Re: Am I at High Risk for a Heart Attack?

Message 2 of 3

I read this article wondering why people would write in to a magazine or periodical and ask this question.

If you are not sure about your health,  go get a check up!!  It could save your life!!  

If you have been getting regular check ups then you are informed about your health and hopefully have been following doctor's suggestions.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Am I at High Risk for a Heart Attack?

Message 3 of 3

Q. How do physicians assess a patient’s risk for heart attack, and what factors are taken into consideration? After 20 years of resisting medication and being told my cholesterol numbers were so off the chart I was at extreme risk for a heart attack, I was told at my last checkup that my 10-year risk for a heart attack was only 9 percent.

A. Physicians use a number of different factors to assess your risk of having a heart attack or stroke, including your age, gender, race, total cholesterol and levels of so-called “good” HDL and “bad” LDL cholesterol. Whether you have high blood pressure or diabetes and whether you smoke are also important risk factors.

Though your level of "bad” cholesterol is a very important risk factor, “the need for a cholesterol-lowering statin is not based solely on the LDL level, but on the other risk factors it keeps company with,” said Dr. Robert Eckel, a former president of the American Heart Association.

Weight, physical activity and diet also play a role in heart disease, though they aren’t usually included in heart risk calculators that you find online and that physicians utilize to assess risk, from groups like the American College of Cardiology. (Some heart risk calculators you’ll find online have been criticized for overestimating the risk of heart disease, but they can give you a rough idea of where you stand, as long as you’ve had your cholesterol and blood pressure tested recently).

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/24/well/live/am-i-at-high-risk-for-a-heart-attack.html?action=click&...

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith