Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Accuweather Says to Skip The Gym This Winter

Message 1 of 3

We went out yesterday (after two days of moderate snow accompanied by c-c-c-cold overnights) for a 5-mile walk by a lake and burned over 500 calories in the doing. It was mostly sunny, but only 39F, and quite beautiful. We had the rec trail mostly to ourselves, but the lake was filled with migrating waterfowl, so that was an added bonus to getting out and 'exercising' our immune systems. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Re: Accuweather Says to Skip The Gym This Winter

Message 2 of 3

snowy statue.jpgShiver me timbers; shivering burns HOW MANY more calories?

While I'm a long time proponent of outdoor exercising in winter (come on, I live in the Rockies you know I prefer cold to hot, right?) the article does offer a bit of advice I think I'll ignore:

"Shivering, a mechanism to produce heat, also burns a significant amount of calories. Studies have shown that people expend five times more energy when shivering, compared to when they are resting."

Well, that might be true, but since I'm not a statue, I have a wee bit of trouble with the idea of purposely causing oneself to shiver as a weight loss mechanism. But, hey, you go right ahead. Smiley Happy

Five. Times. The. Calories.  Wow.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Accuweather Says to Skip The Gym This Winter

Message 3 of 3

winter  outdoor exercise.jpgExercising outside in the cold is good for your immune system.

Accuweather says to skip the gym this winter.

No, really. I just read this article over at Accuweather: https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/skip-the-gym-this-season-why-exercising-in-cold-weather-...

Snippets: 

"While many avoid the cold, outdoor winter workouts are a great way to take in small doses of sunlight. The sunlight can help to improve mood and help with vitamin D intake, according to the American Heart Association (AHA).

Winter exercise boosts immunity during cold and flu season. A few minutes a day can help prevent simple bacterial and viral infections, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)."

ski.jpgExercise outside to absorb more Vitamin D, and to lift your spirits.

"While the cold weather may deter some from outdoor physical activity, working out in the cold has several advantages over warmer weather workouts.

There is no heat and humidity to deal with in colder weather. Winter’s chill might even make you feel awake and invigorated, according to AHA.

In the cold, your body can regulate its temperature a little better. This means you can often exercise farther or longer; therefore, you can potentially burn even more calories, according to AHA.

Exercising in extreme temperatures, hot or cold, has shown the ability to enhance endurance and mental edge. However, it is important to be aware of the potential risks and proper safety precautions before venturing out."

bike in snow tunnel.jpgKeep yourself healthy by exercising this winter.The article goes on to list the Mayo Clinic's tips for outdoor winter exercising

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark