From festivals to better food, amusement parks are adding features for older adults. Take a look at what's new!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

UPDATE! Re: AARP at the Huntsman World Senior Games

Message 1 of 5

UPDATE: There has been discussion on the bentrideronline.com forums regarding the possibility of velomobile* riders competing at the Huntsman World Senior Games, as the rules currently allow recumbents to use aero gear, which, on the surface, might seem to allow for velos. So we took the question to the Huntsman World Senior Games' Director of Sports for clarification. I have been informed that at least for 2017 velos will be prohibited. Aero gear on 2- and 3- wheeled recumbents will still be allowed. There is the possibility of opening a velo division in the future, but the thinking is to grow the 2- and 3- wheeled recumbent divisions before expanding.

So there you have it: plan to race your 2- and 3-wheeled recumbents at the Huntsman World Senior Games, Oct 2017, but leave your velos at home.

* more information on velos here: http://pedalyourselfhealthy.org

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP at the Huntsman World Senior Games

Message 2 of 5

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

This video is for anyone who wonders what the World Senior Games are all about:

Huntsman World Senior Games.

Come see what you can achieve!

30 sports (Including recumbent trike racing: yay!)

34 nations (77 nations represented in the 30 years these games have been held)

11,000 athletes competed in 2016

Next Games: October 9-21, 2017 in St George, Utah.

I'll see you there!

(Don't mind me: I'm just getting excited because we have planned 4 days of training rides over the Thanksgiving Holiday. Weeeee!)

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

Here's a new (and fantastic) video about the Huntsman World Senior Games held each October in St George, Utah. If you ever wanted to test yourself in a favorite sport, or try a new one, this is the place!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

AARP at the Huntsman World Senior Games

Message 5 of 5

We were pleased to see AARP represented at this year's Huntsman World Senior Games. My husband and I first came to know of the October slated Huntsman Games in May of this year after reading an article on this site. We had only been riding recumbent trikes a few months, and felt we had a long way to go if we were to compete, so immediately switched from casual riding to super serious training rides (75 miles in a day!). Soon two other recumbent cyclists joined us in our quest to compete at the 2016 Senior Games.

And guess what? Each one of us earned a gold medal in each of our recumbent events. Go team! But we could not have won gold if we did not first learn of the Games here at AARP, so Yay AARP!

To clarify:

The Games are still in session this week. Check it out here:  (http://seniorgames.net)

or watch this AT&T Uverse documentary on the Games via YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KRqQ5uoyrQ

"We" and "us" = four recumbent cyclists from Colorado. We are aged 68, 57, 55 and 53. Each of us recently discovered recumbent cycling, and for different reasons. The 68-year-old began riding in 2013 after he had a stroke; the 53-year-old since he was hit by a car while training for a triathlon in 2012; and the other two, a married couple with a long history of mountain climbing, wanted to find a new way to exercise together as they looked toward retirement.

Thanks for helping to promote the Huntsman World Senior Games, and senior health. Keep up the good work, AARP.

Kudos
Views
Replies