Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Expert Denise Austin - Week 5: Ways to treat yourself.

Message 1 of 7

I guess a better way to express my 'reward' behavior is to say that when I reach one goal, I quickly adopt another goal as a reward, because for me, striving toward a goal is everything. Smiley Happy

Truth is, I usually have numerous goals in play at any one time. I. Love. Goals. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7
I like to treat myself with a huge cake complete with fudge icing and a bowl of frozen custard.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

I like goals and challenges, they give me an endpoint and then i can treat myself.  My favorite treats are some type of exercise tool, a DVD, a new book or a new magazine, also possibly a   I also like to plan my next goal/challenge and look forward to starting it.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

I admit I am brutally hard on myself.  I'm currently recovering from a total knee replacement with 2 more replacement surgeries to go.  My current goal --- to be able to walk without cane assistance before I have the next surgery.  In addition, I'm working on establishing new GOOD habits with exercise.  I've always fallen short of most of my goals but at my age I'm trying very hard to conquer the feeling of failure and with a knee replacement I must succeed there are no alternatives.

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

It’s so important to treat yourself well and to take good care of the only body and mind you have!!!  

My self care always begins by some form of fitness and my favorite is going for a walk or taking a hike. To be outdoors in nature feels so wonderful... it’s a way of caring for your mind, body and spirit.. it helps to improve your mood too!  Just 10 minutes is helpful.

One of my favorite ways to treat myself is taking an epsom salt bath to relax and unwind and the ultimate treat for me is a massage.. I absolutely love massages especially when they do my head and feet!!! 

Another wonderful way I treat myself is to talk to my sisters and my girlfriends .. if I cannot physically be with them I will call them on the phone for a good long talk. I love to catch up all the time with them and it’s always a blessing to have such great relationships.

How about you?

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

This is not my strong suit, I admit. When I set and reach a goal I usually set another goal, take a breath and go!  I think for me the goal is not really as pleasurable as the doing. That being said, I will buy myself a wee bit of chocolate or arrange for a special dinner when I reach a particularly difficult goal. Usually, though, getting there is 90% of the fun. Smiley Happy 

Weirdo that I am. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

AARP Expert Denise Austin - Week 5: Ways to treat yourself.

Message 7 of 7

We are 5 weeks into the AARP Fit & Fun Health Challenge, if you haven't entered you still can!  Click:  here.

It is important to treat yourself when you set and meet goals.  How do you do that?  Tell us what is something you like to do to treat yourself.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies