Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Expert Denise Austin - Week 4: How do you fit in walks on travel/bad weather?

Message 1 of 5

@jm43716792

Denise's videos can be found here https://www.aarp.org/health/experts/denise-austin/

AARPTeri
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Expert Denise Austin - Week 4: How do you fit in walks on travel/bad weather?

Message 2 of 5
Where is the walk workout , toning and yoga that you have designed on the AARP website. Have looked for it & so far it has eluded me. Thanks Jim
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

I've been known to walk in the rain and the snow. I'll do this first thing in the morning, as Denise suggests.

I recently sold my weaving equipment and supplies, so moved all our exercise equipment into that room and created a home gym. We have hand weights (2.5 - 12 pound), a resistance band, a magic circle, ab roller, an exercise ball, a thigh master, a hula hoop and a mini trampoline.  I bought quite a bit of this stuff through AARP's Rewards for Good program, and spent around $125 total.  Both hubby and I used this home gym religiously this winter and spring and we've both improved our conditioning. It helps to have a designated spot in the house for exercise, we find.

We can do everything from muscle toning floor exercises to a serious sweat fest on the mini-trampoline no matter what Ma Nature is cooking up for us outside. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

I travel for business all the time  so I do have to plan my walks/workouts.  So, what I do is try to wake up 30 minutes earlier to squeeze in a quick walk before I jump in the shower and begin my day.

But, when it rains,  depending on what I have to do that day and my hair... (because I don’t want to wash it and blow dry it again). I do a indoor walk workout and toning and yoga that we have designed on the AARP website. They are easy to do.. streaming on your tablet, computer or even your phone. 

I personally don’t mind walking in light rain but I understand living in DC for 30 years you can get stuck in a downpour.. that is something to avoid so I do check the weather.  

I love to walk when I travel for fun or business because that’s how I soak in the character of a town..and stay active too...

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

AARP Expert Denise Austin - Week 4: How do you fit in walks on travel/bad weather?

Message 5 of 5

How do you fit in walks on travel/bad weather?  It is always difficult to keep a routine when travelling, how do you keep up?  We have had over a week of rain here in DC - I still walk in the rain but timing is key as I prefer not to caught in a downpour!  Do you walk in the rain?

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies