Are you a caregiver? Tell us how you plan your getaway with loved ones for a chance to enter a weekly prize drawing.

AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Expert Denise Austin - Week 3: Barriers to exercising, eating well, sleep.

Message 1 of 8

@JillA137509  I have had a similar problem 2 years ago and found what was best for me was taping my toe. AND I mixed up my fitness routine to do walks or some type of cardio 3 times a week and strength training twice a week and stretching/yoga at least twice a week too.. it will help you.. But, KEEP it up.. moving is the key!!! You can do it..

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Expert Denise Austin - Week 3: Barriers to exercising, eating well, sleep.

Message 2 of 8

I am a 78 yo left leg AK amputee. So am confined to a wheelchair. Haven;t any idea what exercisesIcould do besides right leg movements, e.g. lifts, ect. Not able to dosit-ups, push ups etc.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8

After a fall that injured my knee, I started using a cane during recovery. Now I feel almost chained to it for security reasons, fear of falling again being the main reason. What can I do to improve my balance and strength until I feel comfortable letting this cane go?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

I suffrered a stress fracture (little toe) while running. Tests show early stages of osteoporosis. I'm female and 50. I'm being told and seeing articles (https://ageless-nutrition.com/staying-active-with-osteoporosis/)  that say I should stop running as it's not good for my bones. Other articles suggest it's good - https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/12/08/ask-well-running-with-osteoporosis/

I'm confused.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8
Lack of time
Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8

@rd20582717  

I am so proud of you that you are doing the Fit and Fun Walking Challenge.. That will keep you going..Especially that you are encouraged by your daughter...Sometimes you can just push through it and just by doing that you get healthier.. But, if the pain is too much you should try walking in a pool for 30 minutes and that would be great!!! Plus, it counts as walking for our challenge... The water lets your joints feel weightless and is a great modification on days you need an easier workout..

Keep going.. that’s the key!!! 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 8

I try very hard to eat well and workout my biggest barrier is pain 😠 I had knee surgery in Nov and it still is bad.  I also have Fibromylogia, Coxydenia and Achilles tendonitis which makes it rough.  I did start the walking challenge thing and so far so good especially with my oldest daughter as my workout buddy via skype.... we motivate each other and root each other on!

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

AARP Expert Denise Austin - Week 3: Barriers to exercising, eating well, sleep.

Message 8 of 8

Tell us what are the biggest barriers to exercising for you? To eating well? Getting enough sleep? Connecting with friends?  Our expert, Denise will answer questions.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies