Medicare open enrollment has begun! Learn all about it in AARP's guide to Medicare made easy.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Question for Denise Austin - Tell us how to get started.

Message 1 of 7

@DeniseAustinwrote:

@Epster

Congratulations on losing 55 pounds!! That is fantastic.... I am so happy you stay so active... It sure helps with our metabolism after we are fifty.

To help firm up your arms, one of the best exercises you can do is a tricep toner.. This will strengthen and firm up the back of the arms. With a set of dumbbells (3-5 pounds in each hand) begin standing with your feet hip width apart and hinge from the hips slightly forward with your back straight and abs pulled on. Lift both arms behind you with elbows bent. The exercise is then to straighten the arms feeling the back of your arms working.. try to do 15-20 every day... Also, a good old fashioned push up is effective.. I like to do an easy push up in the kitchen with hands on the counter and walk your feet back a bit and do 15 push ups that way... You don’t even need to get down on the floor for that variation.

Keep it going.. YOU are doing GREAT...

Best Always, Denise

You can try one of my daughter Katie and I workouts we did for AARP.

@DeniseAustin  Thanks so much for the tips!  I will add both of these upper arm exercises to my routine.  I admit that we are only talking a wee bit of flab there, but still, whatever isn't getting me across the race finish line first has to go. (My new mantra ... you know how cyclists are: we can obsess about shaving each ounce off our bikes ... and bodies.  Smiley Happy)

And I'm going now to check out your mother/daughter workouts! You are the best!!! Heart

Ah, wait, before that, though, I have another question: what's your take on the athlete's BMI calculator (the one I use is apparently offline --and my fast search didn't turn up another-- or I'd include a link) as opposed to the standard BMI calculator? I get a 19 on the athlete's BMI and a 22 on the standard calculator. I'm muscular, but not the least bit bulky. The athlete's scale puts me at almost underweight while the standard scale says I'm smack-dab in the middle of normal. Obviously, I'm still diligently working to improve specialized conditioning (lean muscle=faster), but wonder if that 19 should be telling me to back off sooner than later. I just don't want to get carried away, ya know? 

Thanks in advance. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Expert Denise Austin - Week 2: Tell us how to get started or add to walk workout.

Message 2 of 7

Hi Denise. Thank you for your contributions by way of your time and energies with AARP. I am a senior citizen with severe arthritis in my back. Is there or are there any type of stretches or exercises that I can do to help me walk comfortably. I've tried prescription pain pills but they dont help. Any kind of help from you will be greatly appreciated. ☺️

Sincerely

Jackie

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Expert Denise Austin - Week 2: Tell us how to get started or add to walk workout.

Message 3 of 7

Here’s how you get started walking.

Stand up.

Put one foot forward.

Put other foot past first one.

Keep doing that.

Are special expensive walking shoes and clothes necessary?

No!

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: Question for Denise Austin - Tell us how to get started.

Message 4 of 7

@Epster

Congratulations on losing 55 pounds!! That is fantastic.... I am so happy you stay so active... It sure helps with our metabolism after we are fifty.

To help firm up your arms, one of the best exercises you can do is a tricep toner.. This will strengthen and firm up the back of the arms. With a set of dumbbells (3-5 pounds in each hand) begin standing with your feet hip width apart and hinge from the hips slightly forward with your back straight and abs pulled on. Lift both arms behind you with elbows bent. The exercise is then to straighten the arms feeling the back of your arms working.. try to do 15-20 every day... Also, a good old fashioned push up is effective.. I like to do an easy push up in the kitchen with hands on the counter and walk your feet back a bit and do 15 push ups that way... You don’t even need to get down on the floor for that variation.

Keep it going.. YOU are doing GREAT...

Best Always, Denise

You can try one of my daughter Katie and I workouts we did for AARP.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Question for Denise Austin - Tell us how to get started.

Message 5 of 7

Hi Denise,

Thank you for all you contribute to AARP. I'm a frequent consumer of your work. Smiley Happy

Here's my situation: I'm post menopausal, and have lost 55 pounds in just under 3 years, putting me now 10 pounds lighter than I was pre-menopause. Part of the transformation has been due to a needed sport change due to injury. I was an avid hiker/mountaineer and am now completing my transformation into a cyclist. My metabolism is high. Very high. (So high my doctor thinks I'm basically wasting food)

I'm at the point of tightening up a few areas of loose skin. While I've seen improvement, I'm getting impatient particularly with my admittedly small, but still there, upper arm bat wings. I do 200 arm circles a day and work out with a resistance band and hand weights 3-4 times a week. But ugh, nothing says granny quite like bat wings, am I right? Do you have a better, more efficient, non-surgical suggestion for getting rid of those things --fast-- once and for all?

Perhaps helpful stats: I'm 59, on zero meds, with zero conditions and while I do not have the best balance in the world, am agile, strong and flexible.

Thanks in advance for your help!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

I've found it helpful to tract stats to keep me motivated to build my workouts.

With my mini-trampoline, calisthenics, hoola hoop and hand weight routines, I keep a chart upon which I note the date and either number of minutes/calories expended or number of reps. This keeps me honest, keeps me showing up and keeps me building toward my goal.

For cycling, I use a bike computer (cyclometer) to tract distance, speed and such. Without a cyclometer telling me I'm only pedaling at 15 MPH, I'd probably spend my entire ride singing and bird watching rather than pushing hard in order to build muscle and endurance at 20 MPH. Also, I chase rabbits as if I was getting paid top dollar for it. I mean to say, when out on the bike trail, any cyclist that passes me becomes a rabbit and I a greyhound. Greyhounds love a chase. Smiley Happy 

For walking, I keep tract of speed and distance, which keeps me moving and working hard toward my  fitness goal.

I weigh myself a few times a month. That number is important, but as I'm not overweight and am focused on improving conditioning rather than losing weight, it isn't the most telling stat for me.

And then there's this: I tract EVERTYTHING about the food I eat. Calories; calories from fat; type of fat; cholesterol; sodium; protein; fiber; carbs. This is, to me, the most vital bit of tracking. Some meals fuel workouts better than do others, so I try to match the workout intensity with the meal. Feeling well-fueled helps me workout harder.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

AARP Expert Denise Austin - Week 2: Tell us how to get started or add to walk workout.

Message 7 of 7

How do you get started or step up your walking workout?  Share what you do and ask AARP Expert Denise Austin your questions too!

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies