Today, 1 in 7 Seniors Live in Poverty -- AARP Foundation is Fighting to End Senior Poverty. Read More.

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: AARP Expert Denise Austin - Week 1: Who has made an impact on your commitment to healthy habit

Message 1 of 7

HI @DeniseAustin Fantastic inspiration and mentor!

My parents both died of what we now call lifestyle diseases, thus managed to be great examples by their bad examples. Woman Wink

I recall watching Jack Lalanne as a young girl. So I bet part of my fitness and healthy living focus was seeded by him then.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
AARP Expert

Re: AARP Expert Denise Austin - Week 1: Who has made an impact on your commitment to healthy habit

Message 2 of 7

I grew up as a gymnast and got a full athletic scholarship to college, so I have always had a love of being healthy and active. Both my parents were very active and our lifestyle growing up with all us five kids were involved in sports. My father played professional baseball and my Mom was a New York high school champion in jumping rope.

Professionally, I had an awesome mentor.. Jack Lalanne. He gave me my first start on TV in 1981 and I stayed very close to him and his wife for 30 years until he passed. I was honored to speak at his celebration of life.

Message 3 of 7

@ip3285  I agree: a mentor is a good thing! 

Keep up the great work. Stay healthy physically and mentally by remaining active. You are an inspiration, thank you for sharing your story here. Heart

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 7

Dr. Andrew Weil has been a big influence on me and my health habits.  I've always tried to eat healthy food and have always been athletic.  In 1996 I attended a health show in which Dr. Weil was a keynote speaker.  I introducted myself to him before the program began, and was able to talk with him again later.  He told me about his new newsletter and I subscribed.  In it were hints about healthy eating, regular exercise, etc., and his was all valid information and none of the hype that disappears when something new comes along to attract people's attention.  I eventually enrolled in college courses and now have a PhD in botanical medicine (pharmacognosy).  I still run and swim, garden, and shovel out the chicken and goat enclosures on my farm.  With Dr. Weil's initial influence, I realize that age isn't the  major factor in keeping healthy - it's attitude and getting up and doing things!  I'm 78 years old and have been running for 37 years, swimming all my life (almost literally), and keep my mind active by doing, reading, and constantly learning and being active. Old age is really a number if that's what you want it to be.  Life is also what you make if it.  Go for it, whatever it is you want.  And it helps to have a mentor such as Dr. Weil, even though I spoke with him many years ago.

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 7
@Epster: Good for you - keep up the good work. Your post and your life are a great inspiration to others who might think that as they age, they automatically become frail. Not so, and you're healthy, living proof!

Message 6 of 7

I guess oddly, statistics have made the biggest impact on my renewed commitment to healthy habits. I was a super fit athlete before gaining weight with menopause. Post-menopause I was injured and overweight. At one point I caught myself thinking that people get fat as they get older --no big deal, as my vitals were all still in the healthy range. But then a bunch of people around me died within a year or two of retirement and I took notice of the statistics about my generation's death-by-lifestyle habits. I decided I wasn't going to give up a lifetime of eating healthy and being fit because it was easier and seemed the accepted route by so many of my generation.

It took years --and a lot of sweat-- to get back into shape, but here I am 10 pounds lighter than I was pre-menopause. According to tests and my doctor I now have the physical fitness (and organ fitness) of a 24 year old (I'm pushing 60). I have more energy, my mind works better, I'm happier and I feel great! So that's a wonderful reward right there.

Nowadays top senior athletes like Kay Glynn (https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/amazing-aging-athletes-buff-bodies-battle-at-senior-games/) inspire me to continue to improve my conditioning, for if they can do it, so can I. Smiley Happy 

Kay Glynn competing at the National Senior GamesKay Glynn competing at the National Senior Games

Community Manager

AARP Expert Denise Austin - Week 1: Who has made an impact on your commitment to healthy habits?

Message 7 of 7

AARP Expert Denise Austin will be here for 8 weeks during our Fit and Fun Challenge to answer your questions about fitness. 

Week 1, May 7th: Who has made an impact on your commitment to healthy habits?

Get happier, get healthier and get walking! Enter the AARP Fit & Fun Health Challenge and invite your friends and family to enter too! Each week we’re featuring a fit and fun theme with challenges to complete. Answer questions, share photos and more to earn a chance to win prizes, including a Grand Prize Spa Weekend!  Join here:  Join the Challenge by clicking:  here

AARPTeri