Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Expert Denise Austin - Final Week 8: How do you push through?

Message 1 of 4

@AARPTeri  What a smart way to get in your stairs! I love it! And it sounds like a good way to let the bulk of commuter traffic pass before you start your way home, too. Such a great use of resources! Kudos to you! Go, go, go! Smiley Happy 

Exactly: exercise is the best pick me up around. Smiley Happy

I got my mini-trampoline at Walmart. It's a name brand and has an onboard computer that, among other things counts calories, but cost less than $40 on super sale over a year ago. (And may not be available any longer ...) So here's a review of mini-trampolines: https://www.trampolineguide.net/best-mini-trampoline-reviews/

When I first started, I would put on some music and bounce around rather indiscriminately. Smiley Happy Once I was comfy with the trampoline (read: stopped thinking I was going to fall off the thing Smiley Happy) I began stepping faster and adding arm movements. Now 2-3 times a week I do easy 30-35 minute routines to burn between 450-650 calories. But once a week I put on a sweatband and attack that trampoline, stepping an average of 176 times a minute for 41-45 minutes straight. I'm trying to work up a serious sweat while stress testing lung capacity, see, because, well, trike racing season is upon us. Smiley Wink

These workouts take me over the moon for the rest of the day, turning me into a euphoric, super charged Energizer Bunny. (And yes, I do admit that burning that many calories in that short of time is more than a little bit over the top, but, but, but these abs! Smiley Happy)

Here's a place to start (video below) with regards to finding a workout that's right for you. Be sure to explore the videos along the right side of the page: there's some fun routines in there!

Best wishes!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

@Epster  Wow mini trampolene workout!  That sounds fun, tell me more about it! 

I am currently into doing stairs!  I feel the same about exercise clearing my mind and giving me energy!  A few months ago I did a lung force fundraising climb - 25 flights of stairs.  I realized I trained a lot harder and when the day came it wasn't hard at all. 

I decided this week I needed to get back to doing stairs as it really is a great workout.  There is an office building on my commute home from work with 13 floors.  I change before I leave and stop to do the stairs at the end of my day.  It is great for the mind and body, especially if there is a lot of traffic.

I was able to do the 13 flights 8 times in November, so my new goal will be to start timing how long it takes and trying to beat it.  Day 1 earlier  this week I did 50 flights and I am feeling it! 

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

Early on, when I was still losing the menopause weight, results were sometimes tough to measure. What I did then was make a game out if it. I'd keep notes on how fast or far I'd walked, and the next day I would beat those results. Then I'd beat them --just by a little bit-- again the next day. And the next. When I could take it no farther, I'd add something, like, say, 5 desktop push ups. Then I'd do 5 each day for a week and 10 the next week.

The idea being not to focus on the body results early on. Pay more attention to the workout numbers. In this way I found I wasn't worried that I still had so much more weight to lose, but instead was jazzed that I kept making strides in terms of exercise. Smiley Happy

Fast forward to now: Exercising gives me energy and clears my mind. 

So recently, I did a 6,500 step mini trampoline workout in 43 minutes early in the morning (6 AM) when I knew a project would keep me on my feet from 11 AM to well after 10 PM. I was energized and stoked all day and got that work done like it was nothing.

That mini trampoline routine burned off 1,000 calories. I also slept really, really well. Smiley Happy 

That workout felt so good, I've been doing it once a week. Endorphins are my drug of choice, you might say. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

AARP Expert Denise Austin - Final Week 8: How do you push through?

Message 4 of 4

We all have those days that are hard to push through when you don't have time or energy to work out.  How do you motivate yourself and make it work?

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet