Get a newer and safer vehicle while saving money! Check out the AARP auto buying program.

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 81 year old cyclist trains on California's Tioga Pass

Message 1 of 3

Congratulations to Phil Knoll, featured in this thread, for his outstanding performances at the Huntsman World Senior Games at St George, Utah, this week.

Phil's 2017 time trial time was 4 minutes faster than his 2016 time and 2 minutes faster than his fastest ever time on this route!  His 2017 hill climb time was nearly 2 minutes faster than his fastest time on the route! Impressive! Go Phil!

Obviously Phil's hill training worked!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Re: 81 year old cyclist trains on California's Tioga Pass

Message 2 of 3

The downhill. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

81 year old cyclist trains on California's Tioga Pass

Message 3 of 3

I know this man. I adore this man. I beat this man's time at last year's Huntsman World Senior Games in Utah. For a year he has emailed and telephoned to tell me he is training some "nasty hills". He doesn't want me to beat his hill climb time again. This behavior has cemented my total adoration for Phil Knoll. I knew he was a serious competitor, a recumbent racing pioneer and all-around great guy, but with this solo climb of Yosemite's 9,943 foot Tioga Pass, for me, he became one for the ages.

You see, Phil is 81 years old. And he lives at sea level. And yet, undaunted, he decided to train Tioga Pass so that a 58 year old living in the Rocky Mountains would not beat his time.

This is the embodiment of spirit. This is character to be admired. This is a senior athlete. This is who you will meet and what you will find should you ever attend the senior games either as a competitor or a spectator. 

Come cheer on Phil this October at the Huntsman World Senior Games: https://seniorgames.net

Or look for a local-to-you senior games and plan to participate in the next one: US Senior Games State games list: http://nsga.com/states. Trust me, you'll be beyond blessed if you do.

Kudos
Views
Replies