Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 50 Ways to Live a Longer Healthier Life

Message 1 of 20

Watch less TV (and get off the computer) might be good things to add to this list, or at least mention in the  text of the live like the Amish item.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 20

@retiredtraveler - Have you ever tried Teeccino; it's another coffee substitute .. but it's "brewed" like coffee, for those who enjoy that better than instant. It also comes in different "roasts" and flavors; it's #1 on this particular list of coffee substitutes: Healthy Coffee Alternatives, Where to Find Teeccino

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 20

@retiredtraveler  Good for you!  Going cold turkey with the caffeine might have been difficult!

@ASTRAEA  Very slightly off topic, but speaking of salt, have you or (anyone else on the thread) seen the "Salt Bae" memes?  This is a viral meme of a sexy Turkish chef who "spanks" & sensually rubs and salts the steaks he prepares in his restaurant.  His technique with the salt is what has people talking.  He sprinkles it from on high by trickling it through his fingers and bouncing it off the underside of his forearm (above the elbow) so that it lightly settles on the meat.  Watch:

https://youtu.be/_Cs7H7Qvg90

You can see another version here...  

https://www.wsj.com/articles/forget-about-dabbingeveryone-is-doing-the-salt-bae-1487264994

Funny!  It won't be long before it's on SNL...if it hasn't already been!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 20

@retiredtraveler We did a similar thing and did not experience withdrawal. We began by mixing 1/2 decaf with the dark roast, then progressed to adding Pero (instant grain beverage). All the while we slowly reduced volume. We are now drinking a fraction of our former portion, and have dropped the decaf (due to the chemical process). We still add Pero. DH mixes the instant beverage in with the coffee grounds, and sets the machine to brew a pot at 4 in the morning, so it's ready first thing. Robust flavor, no fuss.

pero.jpg

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 20

"...God bless your hardworking kidneys!  I'm more interested in how you withdrew from all that caffeine?!...".

It was easy for us. DW didn't notice anything either. First thing we did was to stop making coffee fully leaded. We mixed caf/decaf with about 2/3rd's leaded in morning. In pm, it went to half and half. Within a couple of weeks, all coffee was half and half and I simply stopped drinking as much. 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 20

@Prosecco6247 - I think that over time our own cooking (or the cooking to which we've become accustomed) can change our palate/threshold for things like salt. Because both my grandmother & mother tended to have high BP, I got used to foods cooked with little salt. I also never developed that unfortunately stereotypical American habit of salting food at the table before tasting it. So my guess is that I've gotten used to the taste of undersalted foods that use other spices for flavoring.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 20

@ASTRAEA Yes, it's very important to know one's blood pressure, monitor it and act accordingly.  The tendency to high blood pressure is more prevalent than that for lower blood pressures and we must all make the effort to keep ours within the "normal" range.  If we are adding salt to our diets, it's also important to keep a regular check on our electrolytes...the ions circulating in the blood that regulate electrical impulses in our bodies.  

It's a delicate balance of positive and negative ions that facilitate cellular metabolism.  Too much of one and too little of another creates an imbalance and disharmony in the body.  Remember, the human body is always seeking homeostasis, the state of equilibrium...or everything in balance.  

To be perfectly honest, these lists usually have good general suggestions...some have a few that are really not so good.  If we like to read lists, we should enjoy them in a casual way but not take them as something writ in stone.  We may thoughtfully apply the suggestions as our own lives and experiences dictate, but to blindly follow a list is simply folly!

"All things in moderation" is a good rule to follow, but nothing substitutes for a clear understanding of what one's numbers are and how they can guide us to achieving balance in our bodies and our overall health.

@ASTRAEA & @retiredtraveler  I think our various "confessions" of our dietary habits and indulgences simply reveals that, in order to live long and healthy lives, our approaches must be highly individualized and built upon a solid foundation of our own cumulative knowledge about how our own bodies work.  

Jung described "individuation" in psychiatric terms as a process to integrate the parts of the psyche.  I would take liberty here and also use the word  to describe the integration of  the body's physiological characteristics and processes into the sum of all of it's magnificent parts.  It becomes our own unique and unconscious "workhorse" of a machine, distinguishing ourselves from others and carrying us forward throughout our lives...a miracle not to be abused nor taken lightly...but above all, meant to be cared for and enjoyed!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 20

@Prosecco6247 wrote:

God bless your hardworking kidneys!  I'm more interested in how you withdrew from all that caffeine?!  Maybe I'm ultra-sensitive to caffeine, but my BP and my waterworks couldn't handle all that, not to mention the migraines from caffeine withdrawal!  Oops!  Maybe I'm sharing TMI!  Sorry!

@Prosecco6247@ASTRAEA Menopausal and post-menopausal women sometimes find that they can no longer handle coffee in part because of the acid and oil, but mostly because of the caffeine. Soda and tea are sometimes off the menu for these women.

Mayo Clinic on caffeine and menopause: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/menopause/expert-answers/menopause-symptoms-caffeine/f...

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 20

@Prosecco6247 - The "salt thing" is important to me, because I tend towards low BP, and have been told to use salt a little more! The important thing is for people to know what their blood pressure runs normally, and then use salt less .. if they need to!

@retiredtraveler, @Prosecco6247 - I think at max I used to drink 3 cups of coffee daily, when I worked. Since last fall, when I significantly changed my diet, I switched over to 2 cups of green & herbal tea daily, and virtually eliminated coffee & hot cocoa not only because they're inflammatory, but because I cut out dairy & Creamora too. I'll treat myself to coffee when I'm out sometimes .. maybe once or twice a month!

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 20

God bless your hardworking kidneys!  I'm more interested in how you withdrew from all that caffeine?!  Maybe I'm ultra-sensitive to caffeine, but my BP and my waterworks couldn't handle all that, not to mention the migraines from caffeine withdrawal!  Oops!  Maybe I'm sharing TMI!  Sorry!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet