AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 50 Ways to Live a Longer Healthier Life

Message 11 of 20

"...#15  Thanks, but I'd rather skip the coffee in favor of tea or water...and sparkling mineral water from time to time.  Whose kidneys can tolerate the effects of 3-5 cups of java a day?  I'll wait until further research comes out....".

Up until about a year ago, when I turned 66, DW and I went through two pots of coffee a day, or at least, on many days.  I would chain drink, if I was hanging around the house in the morning, at least 3 cups back-to-back in a half hour of getting up. Yeah, I cut it out, but I had 5-6 cups a day for decades while working. 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 20

I forgot one important tip I meant to add...use salt sparingly!

Too much salt causes the body to retain fluid as it tries to dilute the salt content, thereby increasing blood pressure and increasing the workload on the heart.  The increased pressure and extra work of the heart leads to stiffened blood vessels.  This, in turn, sets the stage for  higher blood pressures, heart failure, heart attacks and stroke.  The kidneys are affected and the electrolyte balance can become deranged.  Increased salt intake also causes the body to excrete more calcium...more calcium filtering through the kidneys increases the risk of developing kidney stones.  High sodium intake has been implicated in cancer and osteoporosis as well.

If you haven't done it already, put down that salt shaker!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 20

@ASTRAEA  Oh sure!  Let ME take all the heat!  LOL!  Woman LOL  

Yes, sorry, but I always obey my bladder's wishes!  Five cups of coffee?  No way!

I might occasionally have an after-dinner coffee when I'm out, but I make sure to have decaf!

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 20

@Prosecco6247 - Thanks for mentioning the coffee; I didn't feel like becoming the target of coffee-drinkers, by saying anything!

It does remind me that that we're supposed to drink about 1/2 our weight (in lbs), in oz of water daily .. so someone 120 lbs should drink 60 oz of water. With coffee being a diuretic, that works against the water we're drinking .. so too much coffee isn't a good idea from that perspective alone.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 20

@AARPTeri  This appears to be a fairly comprehensive list of what people should be doing if they want to live a long and healthy life.  Since you asked, I feel that there are some items that one may not have complete control over...not that they shouldn't be included in the list, but they are worth further reflection and a very personal decision may be in order for those affected.  Okay...here we go!

#2  The use of OTC analgesics for pain relief is often something we cannot avoid as much as we'd like to.  Persons with chronic pain due to an injury or disease process wish they didn't have pain and wish they didn't have to take something to relieve it.  NSAIDs offer an anti-inflammatory mechanism and to sufferers of rheumatoid or osteoarthritis, back injury, orthopedic problems, headaches (especially migraines,) inflammatory tissue damage, menstrual pain (for younger women) and gout, it's preferred over Tylenol.  Most people shy away from aspirin due to stomach issues and the NSAIDs are problematic for the same reason, but I daresay many folks with pain issues would rather enjoy their lives in the present rather than think about living longer.  I would also add, do not abuse any drugs, prescription or otherwise and do not take illicit drugs...ever.

#5  Agree that getting married just to live a longer life makes no sense at all.  I am single due to widowhood after a long and very happy marriage.  I have made the adjustment quite well and actually enjoy my single status now.  I absolutely do not regret being married...I was blissfully unaware that a singleton could have just as happy and fulfilling a life as someone who was married.

#7  I also agree that we should have less added sugar in our diets.  I don't use any artificial sweeteners but will occasionally have a small amount of local honey in a cup of tea...usually as a "pick-me-up" or if I have a scratchy throat or want to pump up my allergy defenses. There's no way I ever reach the 6 teaspoons of added sugar daily.  I agree with @ASTRAEA regarding the use of artificial sweeteners.

#11  I have always eaten whole grains and high-fiber veggies.  As we age, there are normal changes in our bodies and diverticulosis is one of those.  Unfortunately, the little intestinal pockets called diverticula will sometimes capture a bit of fiber, seeds or nuts that weren't completely digested and the diverticula will become inflamed and infected.  It's a painful condition that requires the use of antibiotics and bowel rest until the area is healed. Sometimes these pockets can rupture and will require emergency surgery to save one's life.

Since some of us tend to overdo a good thing, my advice is "all things in moderation,"   including the ingestion of whole grains and fiber.  You'll stay healthier and be around longer.

#15  Thanks, but I'd rather skip the coffee in favor of tea or water...and sparkling mineral water from time to time.  Whose kidneys can tolerate the effects of 3-5 cups of java a day?  I'll wait until further research comes out.

#23  Move to where you are happiest.  Moving to a place on the chance you might live longer sounds slightly bonkers to me.  If you're happy, your life will be worth living and you may actually live longer because of it.

#25  Completely agree!  The little fella in the photo looks like one of my little guys!  Unconditional love from any source will make one's life "more better!"

#41  Always a blessing to have peace in the family and to eliminate stress.  The main cause of deaths in humans is not stress but is, instead, ischemic (deficiency of blood supply) heart disease and stroke.        http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/

There are different types of stress.  The term "eustress" refers to the good type and it's beneficial for mind and body.  Distress is the term for what we normally think of as "stress."

#45  Drive less and follow the example of UPS delivery drivers...avoid making left hand turns.  Federal studies show that more accidents occur when making left hand turns than right hand turns.

#50  Did you know that front driver's side airbags and passenger side airbags have been implicated in the deaths of small-statured women and children who ride in the front passenger seat?  I'm not referring to defective airbags...just standard equipment.  Injuries on the driver's side can involve wrists, nose, face and head as well as sudden trauma death from the deployment of the airbag.  Just something worth knowing.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 20

The list looks good to me. DW and I are doing, to one degree or another, at least 45 out of the 50. Wish we could live at an altitude --- I think we're  923 feet above sea level here.  The coffee thing is always interesting to me as it has gone back-and-forth for decades as to how good/bad it is for you. It's on the positive now --- who knew, antioxidants in coffee.  

Marriage thing is uncertain. After 40 years, if we were not active and getting out of the house, one or both of us would be dead! Smiley Tongue

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 20

I think the reason 'staying married' repeatedly makes these lists is because statistically, married people outlive single people. Indeed, DH read me a statistic last night that said relationships are 70% of being happy.

Perhaps a contributor to that statistic is attitude. I'd say that people who have learned to work out and/or accept differences without being quarrelsome are happier people. Happier people, whether married or not, I think, will live longer, as an upbeat attitude will help extend life. (Stress being the number one killer.)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 20

I read that people living in a cold clime live longer.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 20

#5 – I always think it’s a bit ridiculous, when they recommend people get/stay married .. especially people > 50! Who would/wouldn’t get married, based on health statistics? And “stay married” – Don’t they realize that getting divorced is a very big step, and if people were unhappy together, that certainly wouldn’t be good for their health .. so why stay married?

#7 – Artificial sweeteners are a lot worse than sugar, and allegedly low calorie natural sweeteners make your body think they’re getting sugar anyway. How about “Cut down on ALL sweeteners!”

#17 – 9 PM is way late to be eating, if someone goes to bed at 11 PM.

I don’t recall seeing it, but another good idea for your health, is to eliminate the toxic people from your life .. or at least minimize the time you spend with them!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

50 Ways to Live a Longer Healthier Life

Message 20 of 20

Do you agree with this list?  Are there things you have thought of that we missed?  

http://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2017/50-ways-to-live-longer.html#lf-content=186239748...

Share them here.

AARPTeri
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark