Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 30 (+1) Crucial Things to Know About Life

Message 11 of 35

@ASTRAEA  That pretty much illustrates my point.  I am not advocating that others should stop reading lists if it brings them joy and erudition.  

My comment is only meant to say that they're not everyone's "cup of tea."  I don't waste my time reading them because I think my reading time would be better used to search for greater understanding of a given topic or to relax and enjoy diving into some great books!

As you so rightly note, they are usually laced with someone's personal priorities which pretty much limits their usefulness as a universal guide.  

JMO...

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 35

@Prosecco6247 - I went back & reread the original list of “30 Crucial Things to Know About Life”, and they really are quite a hodge-podge of very good universal truths, laced with someone’s personal priorities, and some fairly trite thoughts. Who believes that “everything is mediocre” .. what I do isn’t, nor is it acceptable when someone does work for me. And “Don’t get disheartened”; if someone is, just saying they shouldn’t be isn’t much help. What about “Run, wherever you are,” why .. and create panic or an accident?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 35

@LaDolceVita wrote:

@Prosecco6247  My perspective right now is my compassion & trust have been given & I have been soundly slapped.  I am waiting for that fire to go out so I can reflect!

@LaDolceVita  That feeling of having been slapped soundly is always a major shock, especially when you feel you have been doing the right thing...and giving your compassion and trust is always the right thing...but there are limits to one's patience.  Sometimes you just have to set firm limits and protect your own vulnerable heart from further pain.  In the meantime you're waiting to understand what lesson you're going to learn.  I have to agree with @ASTRAEA's comment that sometimes the lesson is learning how little control we actually exert in a given situation.  Sometimes we have to learn to let go a little.  Sometimes we are part of someone else's life lesson...they have the greater burden as far as learning from the outcome but we are participants in a situation beyond our control.  By being a part of the situation, we also learn through observation how to handle similar issues in the future.  Be kind to yourself for the present and the wisdom will eventually come.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 35

@Epster wrote:

@Prosecco6247 wrote:

As far as a healthy mind not speaking ill of others, isn't that just a way to restate "The Golden Rule"...sometimes called the "Ethics of Reciprocity?"

@Prosecco6247 Absolutely. 

As to the usefulness of someone else's list, I sorta kinda agree with you ... although ... to use the example of Christianity ... if we were all excellent at understanding and following good examples, the Bible might not be so repetitive. As it stands it basically tells the same story over and over. (God is love: love one another.)

@Epster

I'll stand pat on my opinion of those ubiquitous lists.  It may sound a little pretentious, but after coming across them in major publications and on the internet for the past decade or so, I regularly pass them by.  It's a rare list that will pique my interest because I find most of them so banal.  To me, they are like mind pabulum.  Pre-digested and insipid, they're a quick fix for those who devour information but who really want to hit the highlights and skip the reading required for true enlightenment.  

I'm not passing judgment here because in our fast-paced society some people have little time for reading.  Some find reading a sedentary activity and would much rather spend their time moving about.  Some read so much in the course of their jobs, they'd rather do anything else.  To each his own...everyone must follow his own muse.  There is no "right" way to absorb new information and ideas so it's really a personal preference.

Quotes are another thing entirely.  Sometimes we find that others say something in such a concise and illustrative way, we cannot improve upon it.  Using a pithy quote is a wonderful way to reinforce one's own thoughts and create another point of reference for others who may be reading our words or listening to our opinions and ideas in real time.  Collecting a library of great quotes is an activity many people enjoy and it can be a personally edifying experience that informs and inspires one's communications.

My comment about the quotation came about because I am always struck by how many ways there are to say the same thing and the admonition to treat others as we would treat ourselves is frequently parroted in other terminology.  While the "Golden Rule" is most closely associated with Christianity, it is not entirely exclusive to it.  All of the world's great religious philosophies include a version of it.  I quoted the Dalai Lama in an effort to illustrate this inclusiveness.  I am not here to advocate for any religion per se nor to appear to proselytize in any way and I'd like to make that clear.

Since you brought up the Bible though, the major theme is "love one another" as you stated.  A theme is not necessarily repetition.  As a work of literature, the Bible contains many narrative stories, wonderful prose and poetry, historical writings, letters and visionary works some would consider not unlike current science fiction. Even Proverbs could be looked upon as a chapter on life lessons and "self-help."  Some of the same stories are retold in different chapters but we must remember that different authors are retelling history as it's been  related to them.  That's not necessarily repetition.  It was not all written as one book.  I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment.  It's really a literary treasure, a foundation for many of the great literary works passed down through the centuries.  

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 35

@ASTRAEA  I appreciate your thoughful response to my short post! Looking at it that way it does  seem true.   Short is all I can manage these days,  I am so busy moving from one crisis to the next.  I was thinking that if I had less to do I would feel better.  However the turmoil makes me nervous so perhaps it is good that I must keep moving.

@Prosecco6247  My perspective right now is my compassion & trust have been given & I have been soundly slapped.  I am waiting for that fire to go out so I can reflect!

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 35

@Prosecco6247 wrote:

As far as a healthy mind not speaking ill of others, isn't that just a way to restate "The Golden Rule"...sometimes called the "Ethics of Reciprocity?"

@Prosecco6247 Absolutely. 

As to the usefulness of someone else's list, I sorta kinda agree with you ... although ... to use the example of Christianity ... if we were all excellent at understanding and following good examples, the Bible might not be so repetitive. As it stands it basically tells the same story over and over. (God is love: love one another.)

Back to the sorta kinda agree part: I'm a quote lover and have a collection of quote books. It isn't that I don't or cannot summon or have those thoughts myself, rather that I enjoy hearing the same ideas in a different dialect. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 35

Speaking for myself only, I think these lists of "crucial" or "important" things to know are just personal reflections of life hacks the list creator has found helpful in his own life.  How does one determine that the items on the list are "crucial" to a good, healthy, successful or exemplary life?  It's just one person's opinion and these lists can be found many places in pop culture.  It's merely a string of ideas that are usually generated to fill space in a blog or publication, for the most part.  I think we can all come up with our own and they're more likely to be applicable to our own lives.

Dalai Lama:

• "Every religion emphasizes human improvement, love, respect for others, sharing other people's suffering. On these lines every religion had more or less the same viewpoint and the same goal."

• "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 35

@LaDolceVita wrote:

@ASTRAEA wrote:

Another crucial thing to know about life:

You can do everything right, yet still not have the outcome you wanted/expected. Everything is a lesson to deal with, even if we don't yet understand why.

The first sentence, very true.  The second I hope is true.  I have been going thru trial by fire for over 6 months & I do not seem to be learning any lessons!!  

@LaDolceVita  I believe most of us have had an experience that creates a belief in us that the first sentence is absolutely true.  For myself, I also have a belief in the truth of the second sentence for this reason:  

While we are going through a personal crisis, we are consumed by all that is happening...both centrally and in the periphery of our lives...the "trial by fire" you spoke of.  We have neither the energy nor the inner vision to focus on a mysterious change that is creating new growth in us and a better perspective of our future reality.  It's only when the fire is dying and the embers are losing their glow that we feel a new energy coalescing within us.  It is then that we begin to understand the lessons we absorbed as we were being refined in the fire.  It can take a month, six months, a year or more.  It is for us to maintain our faith in the future.  

Christians like to quote a scripture from Hebrews 11:1 to help them remember to do this: "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen."  

Good advice for those who wait.  I'm sure there are similar quotes in other religious disciplines and in non-religious or philosophical literature.  I am not here to promote Christianity nor religion in general...just to offer a few words of encouragement.

I don't know if it helps to know you are not alone...although it feels that way when you are in the midst of such an experience.  Wishing you grace and peace.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 35

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 35

@Epster - And this young woman is grateful that it took 4 bouts with cancer, for her to do that winnowing of unimportant things?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views