Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 142 Records Set at 2017 National Senior Games

Message 1 of 3

Gotta love Julia "Hurricane" Hawkins, 101 year old world record holder: 

"Joining them in the all-time ranks is 101-year-old Julia Hawkins of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, who set the women’s 100+ 100-meter mark at 36.62 seconds. Dubbed “Hurricane Hawkins,” the spry retired teacher beat six of seven other competitors running simultaneously in the 90-95 and 95-99 divisions. “I came to run, and that’s what I did,” Hawkins quipped."

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Re: 142 Records Set at 2017 National Senior Games

Message 2 of 3

142!!!

I was busy training for state level games in July, so wasn't able to pay attention to the Nationals. Besides, they don't yet allow recumbents, so my work for now is at the state level. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

142 Records Set at 2017 National Senior Games

Message 3 of 3

World, American masters records among new National Senior Games marks set in Birmingham 

BATON ROUGE, La. (June 21, 2017) – The 30th anniversary gathering of the National Senior Games made its own history, with athletes producing at least four new world records and eight American Masters track records among the 142 new entries into The Games’ record books.

Hollyce Kirkland, 98, of Sevierville, Tennessee, ran for world record times in the women’s 95-99 400- and 800-meter races at 4:29:64 and 9:30:46 respectively. She also earned an American record in the 200-meter race. Curt Davison, 92, of Kirkwood, Missouri, threw the hammer to a new high mark of 25.28 in the men’s 90-94 group. Joining them in the all-time ranks is 101-year-old Julia Hawkins of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, who set the women’s 100+ 100-meter mark at 36.62 seconds. Dubbed “Hurricane Hawkins,” the spry retired teacher beat six of seven other competitors running simultaneously in the 90-95 and 95-99 divisions. “I came to run, and that’s what I did,” Hawkins quipped.

Additional American masters track records were made by 92-year-old Dottie Gray of St. Louis, Missouri in the women’s 90-94 400-meter race, and Neringa Jakstiene, 54, of Memphis, Tennessee, in women’s 50-54 triple jump. In swimming, Doug Springer, 71 of Saddlebrooke, Arizona, set six National Senior Games swimming records in the 70-74 age division, including a time of 5:28.47 in the 400-yard individual medley to break the U.S. Masters Swimming short course yards national record for the 70-74 age group.

Read the full story here: http://nsga.com/pressrelease/142-records-set-at-2017-national-senior-games-presented-by-humana

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet