CLOSE ×

Search

10 Daily Habits You Didn’t Know Sabotage Your Health

Honored Social Butterfly

10 Daily Habits You Didn’t Know Sabotage Your Health

10 Daily Habits You Didn't Know Sabotage Your Health  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Trusted Contributor

I am blessed with good health, but I could be healthier. I could eat cleaner - I eat well, but could do better and if I did I think I’d drop a few pounds. I could exercise more and more vigorously ... maybe in the spring I’ll improve this. I have a wonderful circle of friends and we stay active. I enjoy sooooo many different things, it’s a little embarrassing how easily I can entertain myself. I read, paint, have a very active eBay hobby where I sell small antiques, I have a dog and a cat .... anyway, just a bunch of great stuff and I’m living a grateful life surrounding myself with all things positive. The key is attitude I think, so expand daily thoughts and actions of gratefulness, thoughtfulness, kindness. You’ll have more energy to exercise, eat well and do more of what makes you feel your best self! 

Conversationalist

Of course, we all know that being sedentary is detrimental to your health and it is important to keep moving, but not everyone is able to do that. I do a lot of walking every day and if the weather is too inclement, I walk inside (I live in a retirement community and we have long halls on each floor.  If I walk one end to the other I have walked an l/3 of a mile and it is very easy to do.  It is also very important to get out and be social!  We have people here who never leave their apartments!  Our community offers a lot of activities for everyone's taste, and the friends you make here also contribute to a healthy life style.  Lifestyle is more than just exercise and healthy eating.  You have to exercise your brain as well.  We have trivia contests, puzzles, book clubs, church activities etc.  Making the most of these things can be beneficial to the spirit.

Honored Social Butterfly

While most people know that smoking is bad for your health and eating too much junk food isn’t good for the waistline, there are many other subtle bad habits that can also sabotage your life.

Some of these habits can be hard to recognize, especially if they're part of your normal routine. You won’t notice any harmful effects right away. But over time they will take a serious toll on your relationships, physical health, and psychological well-being. See if you do any of these on a consistent basis.

>>>>>>

Honored Social Butterfly

This is a pretty good list of things to avoid imho.  ESP all the sitting and mindless eating. 😀.  You have to keep moving!

Honored Social Butterfly

From an article I was reading:

"....1) 34% aged 65 or older identify themselves as ‘not very’ or ‘not at all’ active
2) 22% of those who are not at all or not very active and want to be more active, listed their reasons for not using nearby facilities as feeling self conscious in environments such as gyms often dominated by young people.
3) 22% of respondents said they would be more likely to attend a nearby gym facility or classes if they had someone to go with.
4) 29% of over 65s who live alone said they would be more likely to attend a nearby gym facility or classes if they had someone to go with.....".

I don't get this at all. I'm really not understanding why you need someone else to work out with you.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Regular Contributor

I'm independent, very independent, but I still enjoy doing things with others. I love to be supportive and caring of others. My motto is Inspire, Motivate and Encourage! So I always invite others to join me on my adventures.
Honored Social Butterfly

@retiredtraveler wrote:

From an article I was reading:

"....1) 34% aged 65 or older identify themselves as ‘not very’ or ‘not at all’ active
2) 22% of those who are not at all or not very active and want to be more active, listed their reasons for not using nearby facilities as feeling self conscious in environments such as gyms often dominated by young people.
3) 22% of respondents said they would be more likely to attend a nearby gym facility or classes if they had someone to go with.
4) 29% of over 65s who live alone said they would be more likely to attend a nearby gym facility or classes if they had someone to go with.....".

I don't get this at all. I'm really not understanding why you need someone else to work out with you.

I don't really know.  I cannot walk with someone else because it is hard to match someone else's walking rate and I am not walking for casual neighborhood viewing but rather to maintain a higher heart beat and get a work out.   Maybe they mean taking an exercise class together like at a senior center.  Then you wouldn't feel strange in a group you didn't know in the beginning?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP