Gold Conversationalist

1-3 Pieces of Health Advice

Mine would be drink more water, go to bed and get up same time and find a physical activity you love and keep doing it.    For me:  At least 8 glasses, 10 PM bedtime- 5:30 AM wake up and Zumba, rowing and stair climbing.

If you could pass on health advice that has helped you, what would it be?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Great advice @Rhymesometimes! I'm honestly not as good about drinking enough water as I need to be. Some days, I'm on point, but on others, I will go hours before realizing I haven't had any water except for what was in my morning cup of coffee 😲

My first piece of advice would be to find activities you enjoy and nurture them into your routine. Exercise, as you mentioned, is a great activity as it provides physical and mental benefits. There are other brain-stimulating activities, like reading, writing or painting, that are less physical but incredibly beneficial to our overall health. Finding activities that fill your cup with joy and pleasure is vital to our emotional, physical and spiritual health.

My other piece of advice would be to find ways to get outside of your comfort zone. We are creatures of habit, and there are benefits to finding a routine that works for you. However, studies have shown that learning new skills challenges our brains, which increases the number of brain cells and connections between those cells. When you find yourself going through the motions, it's a sign that you're stuck in old habits. You'll benefit from finding healthy and enjoyable ways to shake things up and reconnect.

Visit AARP® Staying Sharp® for more brain health information and inspiration.

Gold Conversationalist

@AARPRachelA  Awesome advice on all three!  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Find a "tribe"! Humans a social animals and science has confirmed that feeling like you belong to a group has positive effects on both physical and mental health. Join a book club, church group, or just hang out every morning at your local donut shop. I guarantee at the donut shop there's a table of senior citizens chatting away and will welcome any new additions! Start a weekly neighborhood poker, bridge, dominos, or board game night. It doesn't need to be an "in-person" thing. A weekly or even daily online group chat with others is enough. The goal is to find or create a tribe that keeps tabs on you and you keep tabs on them. As much as we like to think otherwise, much of our body and brain is still hardwired to live in prehistoric times. Evolution hasn't caught up to the challenges of modern life.

-Mark

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist

@MarkV847771 As usual, you rocked it! All of it is great advice. We are definitely wired to be social, and many seniors are still isolating. So many options to connect.  A little bit of creativeness and courage, will reap dividends.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

It would be to do whatever makes you happy as long as it is legal and doesn't make someone else unhappy. If you are an older person, depression can be a mitigating factor in a shorter life, worse than bad eating habits, worse than bad exercising habits. So, as the song says....."Don't Worry....Be Happy".

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist

@nctarheel  I agree to a point.  Exercise has been shown to be a HUGE help in decreasing and even preventing depressive symptoms.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Make Your Move Contest 2021

Enter Today! Ends 10/22/2021. See Official Rules

Trick or teat yourself to a howlin' good time at the Daybreaker Live: A Monster Mash-Up Dance Party, Presented by AARP on Saturday, October 16 from 11am-1pm ET. Register Here! Daybreaker Live: a Monster Mash-Up Dance Party

Test Your Knowledge, Score Big. New Game Each Day!

AARP's new Right Again! Trivia game - part trivia, part puzzle, all fun! Special opportunities for AARP Members and Rewards participants. Play Now.

AARP Right Again! Trivia

AARP Rewards

Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts. Get started with AARP Rewards now!

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health