Caring for a loved one? Find a part-time job that fits your schedule. Search the AARP Job Board.

Question

What are some home made remedies to prevent colds and the flu?

Answer

As the weather changes, our bodies become more susceptible to catching colds and the flu. Some potential home made remedies to help prevent sickness include:

• Good subject for the season ! My sister makes a solution using horse radish & God-knows-what-else to stay healthier in cold/flu season. Says it does perk you up during the winter as well as being a preventive for those who don't want flu shots. What I'm asking is : how many of you seniors do this also & what do you take ? I'd welcome ideas, what sites to go to for recipes, most anything !
  • Vitamin C in high doses. The root of all anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-histamine is Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid). It's cheap and extremely effective. Dr. Andrew Saul has an excellent presentation on this.  Do your research and look for the Chemist, LINUS PAULING (Noble Prize winner) and his discoveries about Vitamin C. Dr. Robert Cathcart cured thousands of people with all kinds of maladies, in a small CA town basically only with Vitamin C. I get the simple inexpensive tablets that are 1,000mg each...I take 2-4 tablets per day. I never get colds or flu. Ever.Try it.
    • From Mayo Clinic on taking high dosage vitamin C: 
      • ".......Possible interactions include:
      • Aluminum. Taking vitamin C can increase your absorption of aluminum from medications containing aluminum, such as phosphate binders. This can be harmful for people with kidney problems.
      • Chemotherapy. There is concern that use of antioxidants, such as vitamin C, during chemotherapy might reduce the drug's effect.
      • Estrogen. Taking vitamin C with oral contraceptive or hormone replacement therapy might increase your estrogen levels.
      • Protease inhibitors. Oral use of vitamin C might reduce the effect of these antiviral drugs. 
      • Statins and niacin. Taking vitamin C with niacin, which might benefit people with high cholesterol, could reduce niacin's effect.
      • Warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven). High doses of vitamin C might reduce your response to this anticoagulant...".   
      • I'm always against advice for 'taking a pill' for which this society has an obsession. Want to prevent colds? Diet, exercise, proper sleep, proper hand washing (or better, sanitizer). The stuff you should be doing every day.
  • Elderberry in any form—tea, syrup, cough drops, tablets—a proven anti-viral.

• Traditional Medicinal "breathe easy" tea. I have no health problems, this tea 3x a day for 3 days works wonder. Keeps the respiratory system clear, which I believe, helps me. This tea includes licorice root, and some people can not take that due, I think, to their blood pressure. Am not a doc, so not sure if that is the reason. Check first, but then if all systems are go, why not try it?  That’s exactly what I have done for years, and never get a cold, I also eat well, exercise, wash my hands frequently, take vitamin supplements and I am 79 years old.

• Vitamin D3. It's not vitamin C that you need. It's vitamin D3 the sunshine pill. Ever since I started taking 2000 IU a day, I don't get colds. I've been doing this for many years. If I start to feel run down or I might be getting sick, I take double the dosage and the next day I'm fine again. Most people are deficit in D3, especially when the days get shorter and less sunlight.
  • I didn't realize until I read this comment that I haven't had a cold/flu for about three years since I started taking 5,000iu's of vitamin D3 daily. My vitamin D blood results came back low and are normal now.
  • Apple Cider Vinegar. I have gargled with Apple Cider Vinegar for years with any sign of sore throat or cold,  I also clean and wipe down surfaces when kids and I come down with anything we think may be contagious.
  • Echinacea. Check w doctor first but whole herb echinacea and Vitamin C twice a day for 7 days immediately when you feel your first symptom. Also get more sleep and drink more fluids.
  • Food supplements. I take daily whole food supplements that are fruit veggie grapes and berries as well as eating lots of fruits and veggies everyday. I rarely get sick and when I do which is maybe once a year it is very short lived. I also make a syrup of cut up lemons, cut up ginger root, and honey. You can take a few times a day and it will boost your immune system and heal you quickly.
  • Chicken Noodle Soup. Homemade chicken noodle soup with onions and garlic , 600mg Motrin, orange juice, tea with honey and lemon
  • Alcohol (For those who are interested in alternative methods). 
    • This may not work for all, but my mother swore by it. Her daddy was a country doctor who carried a bottle of whiskey around in his buggy in East Texas - Hot toddy, lemon juice, honey, water an dark liquor - Brandy, Scotch or Whiskey. Make the first one weak, if you aren't used to the hootch, then make the second one stronger. Sip in bed and by the time you're done you don't care if you're sick or not!
    • My grandmother also believed in a little honey, lemon and brandy for cold or flu. 

Comments
SizlinTeapot620

Tea Tree, Oregano, Thyme, Sage, Ravensara, Lavender, Juniper Berry, Hyssop, Bay Laurel, or Scotch Pine. These are the Ingredients that makes up Four Thieves oil. 

The story behind it is There were 4 thieves robbing graves during the 15th century,,that they concoted to not get the plague,,,which they did not. They offered the recipe when they were apprehended in order to get a lesser punishment. 

I also make a chicken soup,,with ginger root and ceyanne pepper added,,to fight mucos also,,and it seems to work well.!! 

Epster

I make a gallon of yarrow tincture every summer. That helps keep hubby and me healthy all year long. We haven't had a cold or the flu for over a decade.

Here's information on how to make and use yarrow tincture: https://www.growingupherbal.com/fresh-yarrow-tincture

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Version history
Revision #:
2 of 2
Last update:
‎12-06-2018 05:16 PM
Updated by:

Labels (2)