Caring for a loved one? Find a part-time job that fits your schedule. Search the AARP Job Board.

Question

There are tons of articles that tell you the reasons that sugar is bad. Obviously they all tell you to cut sugar out of your diet... but how do you do that when you are so used to eating sweets all of the time. 

Answers

Read nutrition labels on all products. Chose snacks with 4 grams of sugar or less and chose all products with less or no added sugar. Learn to eat cereals and other foods without adding sugar at the table. Eat more vegetables and less carbohydrates to avoid snacks. On Netflix Streaming, watch the program "Sugar Coated" for more information and tips. As often as allowed under your health care program, get lipid panel blood tests to monitor your cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

I don't drink sodas or sugar in coffee or tea, but giving up cookies, ice cream and other desserts has just been plain hard. No easy way to do it as far as I can tell, and fruit just doesn't fill the void. However, I have stuck with it and after a week or so I found I no longer had cravings for sugar. I've also found that eating a square or two of dark chocolate occasionally doesn't bring back the cravings, and it gives me the sense that I'm not being deprived. I'm beginning to feel much better too, which is it's own incentive.

For snacks, keep your kitchen stocked with things like apples and a good quality (not filled with added oils, sweeteners or salt) peanut butter and snack on this for dessert instead of a piece of additive-laden carrot cake from the grocery store (which also has like 800 calories: twice the caloric count of an average 'diet' meal).

Keep carrots, cauliflower, olives, hummus and mustard on hand. Take carrot sticks along with other items to make a meal on the go with (thus avoiding snacking altogether). Or use this as a ready snack.

Mandarins are a good go-with-you snack. As are raisins (though if carbs are an issue, raisins might not make your list). Keep siracha almonds, unsalted dry roasted peanuts, mandarins, apples and pretzels on hand. The key, of course is moderation. So instead of, say, a 3 pound container of pretzels in your desk drawer, take a small serving with you.

String cheese is another good snack. In moderation, of course.

Comments
SaraL218963

I found that there are ALTERNATIVE sweet things that are healthy. I started a little at a time, and after a few months, I kicked the habit!

Here is a photo of some of the alternatives:

https://bit.ly/2CZYcTF

Screenshot 2018-10-22 12.56.05.png

SaraL218963
retiredtraveler
SaraL218963

"....I found that there are ALTERNATIVE sweet things that are healthy....".

These products don't get you away from sugar. They are only marginally healthy, and contain lots of sugar. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Version history
Revision #:
2 of 2
Last update:
‎09-07-2018 06:34 PM
Updated by:

Labels (1)