Caring for a loved one? Find a part-time job that fits your schedule. Search the AARP Job Board.

Question

How do you fit in walks when on travel or in bad weather?  It is always difficult to keep a routine when travelling, how do you keep up? Do you walk in the rain?

Answers

I travel for business all the time  so I do have to plan my walks/workouts. So, what I do is try to wake up 30 minutes earlier to squeeze in a quick walk before I jump in the shower and begin my day.

But, when it rains, depending on what I have to do that day and my hair (because I don’t want to wash it and blow dry it again), I do an indoor walk workout with toning and yoga based on my workout videos on the AARP website. They are easy to do, and you can stream them on your tablet, computer, or even your phone. 

I personally don’t mind walking in light rain and I love to walk when I travel for fun or business because that’s how I soak in the character of a town..and stay active too.

I've been known to walk in the rain and the snow. I'll do this first thing in the morning, as Denise suggests.

I recently sold my weaving equipment and supplies, so moved all our exercise equipment into that room and created a home gym. We have hand weights (2.5–12 pounds), a resistance band, a magic circle, ab roller, an exercise ball, a thigh master, a hula hoop and a mini trampoline. I bought quite a bit of this stuff through AARP's Rewards for Good program, and spent around $125 total. Both hubby and I used this home gym religiously this winter and spring, and we've both improved our conditioning. It helps to have a designated spot in the house for exercise, we find.

We can do everything from muscle toning floor exercises to a serious sweat fest on the mini-trampoline no matter what Ma Nature is cooking up for us outside. Smiley Happy

Comments
MaVolta

We always walk a lot when we travel just exploring the town, or visiting a natural area with walking trails. I'm no longer able to hike the more difficult trails as I did in the past, but there are always places to explore with easier trails. We often combine walking with public transportation, staying in smaller places like b&b's or quaint little hotels. Visiting museums or art galleries is great option for walking, too.

At home, I don't mind walking in a light rain or bundling up in chilly weather. But if the weather is just too bad, or too cold, to be out and about, then I use the flex-step exerciser and some hand weights for indoor work outs.

retiredtraveler

Our travel means walking, hiking, or biking a large portion of the day. We get more exercise on trips than we do at home. We don't walk in the rain, but we walk in the snow and cold. So, that means we're walking most days year 'round.

ja4401

Keep in mind walking can be done inside as well as outdoors. When the weather is not ideal for outdoors consider walking in your home. Add a little music to your walk to keep the steps interesting enough for you to enjoy moving. You will be surprised at the energy boost after a few songs have been played. If you have weights at home add them to your indoor walking manuevers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Version history
Revision #:
3 of 3
Last update:
‎09-07-2018 06:33 PM
Updated by:

Labels (1)