Hundreds of AARP member benefits. One convenient place to explore them. Check it out!

Question

Nutrition and physical activity are important parts of a healthy lifestyle when you have diabetes. Do you have some practical advice you can share with others? 

Answers

Move! Physical activity doesn't have to be viewed as punishment. Walk the dog, walk (don't drive) to the corner store, stroll a shopping mall. Find ways you enjoy to get yourself out and about. Its not a myth that movement helps keep blood sugar in control.  

I was diagnosed as diabetic on 10/23/18. I was 65. My sugar # was over 300 and my A1C was 12.1. Today my sugar averages under 110 and my A1C is 6.1. They have cut the pills I was taking to 1 instead of 2 a day. I hadn't been to a doctor in 30 years and weighed over 220 lbs. at 5'4". I followed the doctor's advice for what to eat — I hate vegtables and love pizza. I gave up the pizza, bread, etc. (anything that tastes good) and eat string beans, pears, blueberries, unsalted peanuts, and food cooked without salt. I walk 2.3 miles every day with few exceptions. I lost 40 lbs. and went from size 44 pants and XXL shirts to size 36 and size L shirts. I could eat a frozen pizza right now because I still want it, but I don't. I feel 100x better and have 2x the energy. Again, I listened to the doctor and argued with her that I could not live without pasta...but everything she told me worked. Also, I could not have done any of this if my wife was not a saint and cooked all the right things for me and checked contents on everything we buy. I do now and then have pasta and pizza in less amounts than I used to...and they taste great.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Version history
Revision #:
2 of 2
Last update:
‎09-07-2018 06:31 PM
Updated by:

Labels (2)