Trusted Contributor

😭 Working Through Loss and Grief! (AARP Article)

Grief is a complex emotion. And when you're in the throes of it, you may find it difficult to do almost anything else, even complete simple tasks. It's common to feel indecisive, even about trivial matters. Many people just want the pain to end but are convinced it never will.

But life goes on, and you, the one grieving, need to go on, too. Though you may not be able to function at pre-loss capacity for a while, there are steps you can take to ensure that your life doesn't fall apart while you're in the midst of your grief. Here's what the experts advises.

LINK TO AARP ARTICLE 

0 Kudos
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Regular Contributor

Nicole -  I am so sorry for your loss and also the response you received.  I too am a new member and it makes me rethink anything that I post.  I find some measure of comfort in reading posts from people going through the same pain as me and also hearing some suggestions as to how to move forward.  I feel stuck and sometimes feel like I take a step forward but then move backward two steps.  Do not let bullies make you feel bad.  I was surprised to read the post since everyone has been so caring.  Take care and I wish you the best.  Eileen

View solution in original post

Honored Social Butterfly

To me, the beauty of this forum is to be

able to log in and just read, as I often do

or respond, which I don’t always do. Grief

is a funny thing as in it affects me in a

different way every day. But to see any

kind of negativity on this forum of all places

is so cruel and unacceptable. I also have 

faced criticism and public lynching but

not on this forum. I used to try to PM

the person because, ever the healer, I 

always thought it could be resolved. Not 

anymore. They have a report inappropriate 

content  button for a reason. Shame on 

anyone for shaming anyone on this site.

We are all in this together and we must

stand tall. Prayers to you and everyone 

else who is grieving πŸ™πŸ™

View solution in original post

Trusted Contributor

FROM THE ARTICLE:  Don't be too strong for your own good. Surround yourself with people for whom you don't have to put on a brave front. In a work setting that may mean soliciting an understanding colleague to run interference for you. It also may mean opting out of everyday tasks for a time. Grieving is an act of great courage and strength; it is not for the weak.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

FROM THE ARTICLE: Talk about it, cry about it and sit with it. When you have done enough talking, thinking and finding ways to cope with your loss, you will notice the emotional charge begins to dissipate. It doesn't have to be a moment of awakening where you suddenly find enlightenment; you will simply begin to feel different. You will be forever changed by your experience, but you will feel that you can finally get back to being yourself.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

@BeatleloverKT , @AhmadS241183 and @EileenP559346 πŸ€ŽπŸ€—

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

FROM THE ARTICLE: Remember that grieving is not completed in a day or a month or a year. You are not just grieving the lost person or job or health or hometown. You are letting go of an integral part of yourself that was a large part of who you are. It takes time β€” sometimes a very long time. As time passes, your pain will begin to subside. Be prepared, however, to experience periods of rawness β€” usually when least expected.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

FROM THE ARTICLE: Find a listening post. Good listeners don't tell you to get over it, give advice, regale you with stories of their own or tell you how to fix it. If it were that easily done, you would have done it by now. Look for someone who is patient and kind. You may identify good listeners through a grief support group, religious adviser, best friend, sibling, sympathetic colleague or psychotherapist.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

FROM THE ARTICLE: Be patient with yourself. Expect, for a time, that your functioning will be impaired. Sometimes it helps to let those around you know about your grief. Ask for help in staying focused. Find someone who can even take over some mundane or basic tasks until you are yourself again.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

(12/28/22) Thank you @BeatleloverKT πŸ€ŽπŸ€— Nicole

Trusted Contributor

(12/27/22) YOU ARE SO RUDE!!! @WebWiseWoman . Now I see why NEW MEMBERS like myself leave. Who asked you to READ AND RESPOND to this thread or any of my other threads or posts. MS. BULLY, GO BULLY SOMEONE ELSE. I AM GRIEVING AND DO NOT NEED YOUR NASTY COMMENT. 😀😀😀😀😀 And I am over your DAILY RAGES ABOUT HOW AARP IS RUNNING THIS SITE AND HOW YOU ARE SO SMART. GUESS WHAT, WHO CARES??? LEAVE. THE SITE WILL BE SO MUCH BETTER. Nicole πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

➑️@WebWiseWoman wrote:

Somewhat tired of seeing you posting ever 5 minutes but enjoy yourself.⬅️

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

To me, the beauty of this forum is to be

able to log in and just read, as I often do

or respond, which I don’t always do. Grief

is a funny thing as in it affects me in a

different way every day. But to see any

kind of negativity on this forum of all places

is so cruel and unacceptable. I also have 

faced criticism and public lynching but

not on this forum. I used to try to PM

the person because, ever the healer, I 

always thought it could be resolved. Not 

anymore. They have a report inappropriate 

content  button for a reason. Shame on 

anyone for shaming anyone on this site.

We are all in this together and we must

stand tall. Prayers to you and everyone 

else who is grieving πŸ™πŸ™

Regular Contributor

Nicole -  I am so sorry for your loss and also the response you received.  I too am a new member and it makes me rethink anything that I post.  I find some measure of comfort in reading posts from people going through the same pain as me and also hearing some suggestions as to how to move forward.  I feel stuck and sometimes feel like I take a step forward but then move backward two steps.  Do not let bullies make you feel bad.  I was surprised to read the post since everyone has been so caring.  Take care and I wish you the best.  Eileen

Trusted Contributor

(12/27/22) Tears were in my eyes when I logged in today and was greeted with her awful post. Thank you SO MUCH @EileenP559346 , you "reminded" me there are others grieving and we do need to "support" each other. πŸ€ŽπŸ€—

@EileenP559346 wrote:

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
ShowΒ Β onlyΒ  | Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP