Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Super Contributor

Re: Death of my husband

My heart goes out to you as well as my prayers. (((sending you a hug))). I pray you are surrounded by your loved ones during this time.  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

On 6-2-2018 my husband sufferred a collapsed lung, one of the many complications after his lung transplant surgery. He never returned home after this, except for his ashes.

This is 1-16-2019 when I write this, 5 months after his death in 8-13-2018, and it is still so hard.

Does it ever get better?

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@edorn  My heart goes out to you. While I've not experienced the loss of a spouse/partner, I've lost my niece, Mom, sister and Dad in the past 6 yrs. My Dad passed 8 months ago and it seems like yesterday. I've found that over time it does get easier. The grief is still with me but it's not as present in the front of my thoughts - it's just underlying. And over time there are fewer triggers that make me sob. But it does take time...

How are you doing now? Please give us an update! Thinking of you and wishing you peaceful moments and moments of joy. They will come closer and closer together. Life will never be the same,  but you will learn to live with it. Heart

Take care, 

Amy Goyer, AARP Family & Caregiving Expert

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Love is a quality that is highly esteemed and in the Greek language it has different degrees of meaning. There are four forms of love used in Greek based on content. Eros describes romantic love between husband and wife and one of the synonyms for this love is โ€œdevotionโ€. This is the quality of love that existed between you and your husband. Love is not pre-programmed. It has to be learned. This affection is vital between husband and wife to have a successful marriage. Both have to work together to apply this type of love. A marriage with this love is one to be cherished. The loss of a marriage partner is a life altering situation. It is a void that cannot easily be filled. Steps must be taken to close that void. Our mind and time must be occupied with up building, positive thoughts. The best way to do that is to concentrate on the hope and promises made by the Creator of marriage, Almighty God. The Bible provides a guarantee of better times to come. The Bible also reveals that mankind is in a sinful state, subject to sin and death. No one is exempt from this sentence, but along with this unfavorable condition the Bible offers hope that is most comforting to those who grieve. It is a hope of a resurrection and to reassure us of its truthfulness the Bible provides nine [9] accounts of resurrections: Jairusโ€™ daughter and Lazarus are two of them. How is this possible? Remember that the โ€œLordโ€™s Prayerโ€ encourages us to pray for Godโ€™s Kingdom. It is this Kingdom that will bring about these wonderful blessings and Jesus would not have made this promise if it wasnโ€™t guaranteed by his father Almighty God because he cannot lie. There are so many comforting promises that direct our attention to a positive future. I would be pleased to share them with you and you can email me if you like. Also, the website jw.org will provide answers to your questions. I hope this information has helped you through your sorrow.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thank you Carol for replying to my message. It helps to hear from like-minded people who went through a loss of their own. As I am reading in the booklet " Another Dawn" by James Dillet Freeman " Death is a door through which we pass into another room. It is a rest between two notes in an unfinished symphony. It is a page we turn into a new chapter in the book of life. It is not the end; it is a new beginning. It is not the fall of night; it is another dawn. "

I will go to the website you recommended jw.org.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Edorn you are most welcome! So many could find comfort if they only took the time to find a pathway to truthful answers. Isn't it obvious, with the Bible's history, that no man could have preserved it for thousands of years without purpose? I marvel at the historical and prophetic accuracy it contains. There is not one lie in it. That being the case, we can have confidence in what it says about the future. Please examine it and let me know what you find. I would be glad to write you.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP